We have a dedicated team of lawyers who specialise in all aspects of Health, Safety & Environmental law and who provide advice and representation in England, Wales and Scotland. In addition, we have considerable international expertise in this area through our network of offices and relationships with correspondent law firms across the globe. This means that we are able to provide a uniform, global approach to Health, Safety & Environmental compliance and incident response.
Our team has a wide range of experience of Health, Safety & Environmental issues across many industries and has been involved in a considerable number of the leading cases, including Piper Alpha, Milford Haven, Transco and ICL Plastics, Buncefield, the Ladbroke Grove and Hatfield train crashes and the Gulf of Mexico Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
Compliance and Incident Prevention
We will provide you with proactive support to help you fully comply with the regulatory regimes and prevent incidents from taking place.
Services that we provide include:
- 24/7 Helpline
- Establishing emergency response processes
- Legal updates
In the event of an incident, we will work with you to ensure that you are adequately protected. We will provide you with highly responsive 24/7 assistance to support you through this challenging time.
Our services include:
- Emergency response
- Incident investigation
- Remedial steps
- Dealing with the police and/or regulators
- Dealing with contractors and their legal advisers
- Advising all relevant management and personnel including during any interviews
- (under caution or otherwise)
- Ensuring that legal privilege is protected
- Controlling the release of documentation and other information
- Representation in all court proceedings
We proactively help our clients assess and reduce the risks of Health, Safety and Environmental liabilities arising out of corporate, commercial and real estate transactions, developments and investments. Should your business be undertaking such transactions, our team is able to provide the full range of support.
In addition to health and safety capabilities, we have significant experience across a whole range of environmental issues affecting many different industries including:
- Contaminated land and its remediation
- Environmental Permitting Regulations
- Clean-up of coastal fuel spillages
- Rig fires and explosions
- Water, river, groundwater and sewerage
- Noise and nuisance
- Nature and habitat conservation
- Planning and licensing
- Environmental impact assessments
- Renewable energy
- The carriage of hazardous goods and waste
- Air pollution and air quality
- Environmental taxes
- Emissions trading schemes, carbon offsetting and climate change
- Green buildings and leases
- Waste management and waste packaging