Sample cases in Professional Liability
- Defending insurance brokers in a multi-million dollar Ontario claim arising from a substantial mine collapse
- Representing insurers in connection with FCA investigation and investor claims arising from suspension of UK investment fund
- Acting for top auditors firm defending a complex multimillion pound claim by offshore trade finance company.
- Representing clients in Ontario proceedings concerning vicarious liability under workers' insurance legislation
- Defending French insurance brokers in USD 480 million Commercial Court case.
- Defending an accounting firm in multimillion tax advice claim by a property developer.
- Dealing with a series of Continental European claims involving international accounting firms.
- Defending a UK auditing firm in large claims by company liquidators arising from a failed merger and acquisition.
- Defending an international firm of solicitors in a highly sensitive professional indemnity claim in Singapore.
Directors’ and officers’ liability and insurance
- Acting for insurers in SEC/DOJ investigation and SFO criminal prosecution of international company for bribery and corruption in the lead additive industry
- Acting for insurers of D&Os of high profile UK corporate collapse leading to civil claims and directors disqualification proceedings.
- Acting for insurers of D&Os in Global Crossing class action
Financial Institutions claims and litigation
- Acting for reinsurers of a worldwide insurance programme for international bank claims in Jersey, Japan, Nigeria, South Africa and other jurisdictions.
- Acting for insurers in a large coverage dispute with fund manager of suspended UK retail investment funds facing massive FSA compensation demands.
- Representing Lloyd’s managing agent E&O insurers in respect of coverage for “bad faith” claims and related coverage issues.
- Acted for or am acting for insurer clients in numerous offshore financial centre disputes involving fund managers, administrators and/or custodians, notably in Jersey, Guernsey, Caymans and Bahamas.
- Acted for Lloyd’s Underwriters on one of the largest Financial Institution Insurance claims in Canada.
Construction insurance and architect/engineer matters
- Advising insurers on oil sands notifications, and offshore energy insurance claims under WELCAR contracts
- Defending claims against engineers in connection with environmental claims and other projects
- Advising insurers on coverage and handling of complex architect and engineering claims
Sample non-contentious work
- Reviewed and prepared numerous PI, D&O and other specialised wordings and proposal forms for Lloyd’s syndicates and London market insurers.
- Performed claims audits for Lloyd’s syndicates and London market insurers in the UK and Canada.
Prepared comprehensive risk and litigation reviews on various UK professions and sectors.