David advises on professional indemnity, directors' and officers' liability, management liability, and employment practices.
David’s experience ensures that alternative dispute resolution is always considered and he has a reputation for having a sensible, commercial and practical approach to claims.
David has appeared in numerous courts and tribunals and has represented clients before the Federal Court, Supreme Court, District Court, Local Court, NCAT and Coronial Inquests.
David is recognised as a leading litigation lawyer by Best Lawyers in Australia 2021, recommended by Doyle's Guide 2020 in the category of Professional Indemnity Lawyers (NSW), and recommended by Legal 500 in employment. David was also recognised by APAC Insider as a Leading Expert in Insurance Law 2018.
David is co-author of the Australian jurisdiction of the Insurance & Reinsurance International Comparative Legal Guide, and co-author of the Australian jurisdiction of the Legal 500: Insurance & Reinsurance Comparative Guide.
- Acting on behalf of solicitors in proceedings arising out of failed development applications, personal injury matters, public liability, family law asset allocations and commercial leases.
- Defending a stock trader with regard to the negligent and fraudulent investment of shares claims and/or proceedings which were instituted by more than 100 investors against the trader claiming significant losses on self-managed super funds, and other private accounts, as a result of the stock traders conduct.
- Giving indemnity advice regarding proceedings instituted against real estate agents, accountants, liquidators, surveyors and auditors.
- Advising on proceedings instituted against insurance brokers, involving industrial special risk insurance (ISR), liability, domestic household, and professional indemnity policies.
- Representing stock brokers in Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) investigations regarding insider trading.
- Defending directors and officers in respect to breaches of directors' duties under the Corporations Act, particularly involving claims brought by liquidators.
- Advising on coverage in respect of policies issued to private lenders involving mortgage indemnity insurance, arising from the collapse of large financial institutions, where possible claims against third parties must be investigated and advised on.
- Defending occupier claims in respect of personal injury occurring on building sites, shopping centres, and household premises, and giving detailed advice in respect of contractual indemnities contained within contracts between contractors, sub-contractors and principals.
- Acting on behalf of various companies (including individual home owners, tradesman and non-profit nursing homes) regarding coronial inquests.
- Defending unfair dismissals, adverse actions, and discrimination claims in the FWC and Federal Court, for and on behalf of employers.
- Advising and acting in respect of prosecution of and defence of restraint of trade clauses.