Ian is an international disputes lawyer and skilled advocate who works closely with his clients to evaluate and resolve disputes in a way which suits them, primarily through international arbitration, but also via court proceedings, mediation and negotiated settlement.
In international arbitration, Ian works for and against states and state-owned parties in relation to disputes and agreements in the energy sector, both under commercial contracts and investment treaties. He often represents trading entities in arbitration proceedings concerning the international sale and purchase of oil products, biofuels, steel and other commodities, and has wide experience in disputes concerning infrastructure projects, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals and information technology.
Ian has been involved in arbitrations under many of the major arbitral rules and has day-to-day experience of conducting arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA, ICSID and UNCITRAL Rules. In addition to his disputes work, he also advises clients in relation to the negotiation and formation of trade contracts and upstream oil and gas agreements.
Ian was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2006, joined Clyde & Co in 2007 and was admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales in 2010. He is qualified as a Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings), enabling him to represent clients in civil court hearings throughout England and Wales, as well as in international arbitration. He regularly appears as an advocate at international arbitration hearings in London, and abroad.
- Representing a distributor in a dispute with a major international pharmaceuticals manufacturer concerning a distribution agreement.
- Representing a state electricity authority in connected disputes concerning construction of power lines.
- Representing a state in numerous separate ICC arbitration proceedings concerning liabilities arising from oil Production Sharing Agreements.
- Representing a national oil company in LCIA proceedings concerning the sale and purchase of fuel oil.
- Acting for a large South Korean client in two-phase LCIA proceedings concerning liability arising from sales of defective steel into Europe.
- Representing a major national oil company in LCIA arbitrations, mediation and English High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings arising from EU anti-dumping legislation.
- Defending a state in ICSID proceedings concerning the redevelopment of an airport.
- Representing a state in PCA-administered proceedings under the UNCITRAL rules, concerning a telecommunications license.
- Representing a state in relation to various LNG project issues.
- Representing an Eastern European seller in LCIA arbitration proceedings concerning a US$1bn+ long term contract for the sale of oil products.
- Advising upon the handover and transition of a key strategic Middle Eastern port to new operatorship and upon threatened ICSID proceedings.
- Supporting the general counsel role of national oil company in relation to drafting and negotiation of service, supply and construction agreements.
- Regularly advising various international trading entities on contractual issues and the impact of sanctions.
- Assisting various international trading entities with arbitrations under FOSFA, GAFTA and CENTA rules.
- Advising and representing investors in negotiations concerning upstream oil and gas agreements, including Production Sharing Agreements, Joint Operating Agreements and Farmout / Farmin agreements in Africa and the Middle East.
- Part of the team representing the Government of Yemen in a multi-billion US dollar energy arbitration at the ICC.