Emma regularly acts for London market insurers and reinsurers and for major insurers of the Bermuda Form. She has extensive experience in running high value, document intensive, coverage disputes to hearing at arbitration.
Emma deals with issues arising in relation to a wide range of classes of insurance and reinsurance business including product liability, D&O, property, professional indemnity and excess liability.
Emma is also an experienced litigator of coverage disputes in the English Court (both at First Instance and on Appeal) and also in English arbitration proceedings dealing with both insurance and reinsurance issues.
Emma also acts or assists in arbitration or court proceedings in other jurisdictions including, notably, the United States (New York), Europe (Switzerland, Italy and France) and South America (Colombia and Venezuela).
- Acting for various Bermuda insurers in relation to coverage disputes arising in relation excess liability, property, product liability and D&O policies
- Acting for various insurers in the London, Bermuda and US markets in relation to coverage for claims made against various large US oil companies in relation to MTBE
- Advising excess liability insurers in the Bermuda market in relation to a D&O coverage dispute arising out of securities and creditors' actions in the United States
- Acting for insurers of a large pharmaceutical policy on the Bermuda Form in a high value dispute, involving HRT - successfully resolved
- Acting for insurers of a large retail premises defending a claim for subsidence damage under its property cover - claim successfully resolved
- Acting for insurers of an excess liability policy on the Bermuda Form in a 3 week arbitration hearing successfully resisting a multi-million dollar claim under that policy in relation to an allegedly defective product
- Acting for reinsurers in relation to a complex dispute in South America relating to a hull liability loss, litigated to the Supreme Court of Venezuela and successfully resolved
- Successfully representing Gater Assets in relation to the registration and enforcement of an arbitration award made in Russia in relation to a claim for misappropriation of natural gas
- Acting for cedents in a dispute involving a number of arbitrations relating to a whole account reinsurance programme and arising out of the resolution of various underlying claims including a significant claim relating to a political risk loss and a number of aviation losses
- Acting for a Canadian mutual insurance programme and successfully resolving a coverage dispute with its reinsurers including contested jurisdiction issues