Matt Bown is an experienced litigator who concentrates his practice on complex product liability matters involving medical devices, automobiles, industrial machinery, construction equipment, recreational and sporting goods and other consumer products. He maintains an active commercial litigation practice in which he represents large and small companies in a wide range of business disputes. Matt has also advised clients in civil litigation, insurance coverage, consumer protection and insurance defense matters. He has handled a wide range of cases involving extra-contractual liability, and equitable remedies, as well as prosecuted complex civil RICO actions on behalf of insurers.
Matt enjoys traveling New England and beyond with his wife and their young son and daughter and is always thankful for a summer day spent on the beaches of Cape Cod.
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- US District Courts for the Districts of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Vermont
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 2013
- B.A., University of New Hampshire, 2004
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Young Lawyers Steering Committee
- Substantive Law Liaison Subcommittee
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- “The ‘Goldilocks Zone’ for Biomechanical Opinions,” DRI For The Defense Magazine, vol. 61, November 2019
- “Product Liability Decisions to Watch For in 2019,” MDLA Newsletter, December 2018
- First chair bench trial resulting in judgment in favor of insurer on claim for extra-contractual liability.
- Second chair in week-long trial which secured declaratory judgment of non-coverage in favor of insurer which was later upheld on appeal without argument.
- Secured dismissal of product liability claims against manufacturer and distributor of robotic-assisted surgical technology device.
- Secured dismissal of product liability claims against manufacturer and distributor of medical device used in spinal fixation and fusion procedures.
- Member of trial team on six-week insurance coverage trial in case concerning 8-figure claim for defense costs in connection with underlying multi-district litigation involving distribution of tainted pharmaceuticals.
- Secured dismissal of product liability claims against manufacturer of automobile accessory distributor brought on behalf of pedestrian struck by automobile.
- Obtained summary judgment in product liability case in favor of manufacturer of automated commercial food production machinery.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of leasee of commercial property which determined that lease did not require the leasee to indemnify landlord for costs of statutory environmental compliance.
- Obtained summary judgment in in favor of real estate investment firm which secured money judgment in excess of USD 475,000.00 reaching through the insolvent limited liability company to hold its principal liable in his individual capacity.