Michael advises and represents international and domestic clients in a wide array of commercial and corporate disputes. He has extensive experience in international arbitration proceedings under the rules of several arbitration institutions (e.g. ICC, DIS, FAI) in various countries and different legal systems. His experience comprises ad hoc arbitration, domestic and cross-border litigation as well as alternative methods of dispute resolution, such as dispute adjudication proceedings.
In his practice he focuses on post-M&A and shareholder disputes as well as disputes in the fields of international trade, construction law, natural resources, energy and infrastructure. His practice also includes disputes relating to foreign trade regulations and restrictions.
Michael’s expertise further encompasses the enforcement of foreign judgements and arbitration awards as well as the defence against enforcement measures in Germany.
Before joining Clyde & Co. in 2018, he worked in the Dispute Resolution practice group of a renowned German law firm. He holds a LL.M. degree from the University of Johannesburg as well as a Doctor of Law degree from Saarland University.
- Eduacted at the University of Saarland
- Dissertation on anti-trust law in international arbitration with Prof. Dr. iur. Dr. rer. publ. Dr. h.c. mult. Michael Martinek, Saarland University
- Master of Law in Private International Law at the University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Legal traineeship in Wuppertal, Düsseldorf, Cape Town and Johannesburg
- DIS40 - German initiative of young arbitration practitioners
- German-South African Lawyers Association (DSJV)
- defence counsel in two multimillion ICC arbitrations regarding claims arising out of share sale and purchase agreement
- advising a multinational company on the enforcement of a Swiss arbitral award in multiple jurisdictions
- defence counsel in a multimillion dispute adjudication proceeding regarding claims arising out of an offshore windfarm supply agreement
- defence counsel in a DIS arbitration regarding claims arising out of a sale of cogeneration units
- representing and advising a German manufacturer of industrial machinery in several court proceedings in Germany and Italy regarding claims arising out of sales of industrial machinery for the production of plastic
- counsel in a court proceedings and appeal proceedings in Germany regarding claims arising out of a shareholder dispute
- counsel in court proceedings and appeal proceedings in Germany regarding claims arising out of the prefinancing of insolvency proceedings
- advising a multinational company on a dispute regarding the adaptation of a Uranium supply contract
- advising a consortium of mining companies on the defence against the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award in Germany
- advising German companies on the defence against the enforcement of foreign judgements in Germany