Nathaniel handles both contentious and transactional matters relating to construction and engineering projects in the UK and internationally, with a particular focus on international arbitration and complex dispute work.
Nathaniel is based in London having previously worked in the firm’s offices in Singapore, Dar-es-Salaam and Hong Kong, and often acts for contractors in cross-border disputes resolved through arbitration or alternative dispute resolution (ADR) procedures.
He has extensive dispute resolution experience covering adjudication, litigation, and international arbitration (including under ICC, LCIA, SIAC and CIETAC rules, amongst others) and a range of ADR procedures, including expert determination and mediation.
Nathaniel is recognised as a stand-out lawyer in the Thomson Reuters database of independently rated lawyers (formerly Acritas Stars). He speaks Spanish and French and has a working knowledge of Portuguese and German.
- Advising a contractor in connection with issues relating to bonds provided under a front-end engineering and design (FEED) contract for an oil & gas project in south America.
- Acting for a UK developer in connection with multiple fire safety and defective cladding issues relating to projects in the UK.
- Advising a German contractor on contractual issues arising in connection with an ongoing energy from waste project in the UK.
- Representing a Spanish developer of renewable energy projects in connection with an expert determination procedure relating to a portfolio of solar projects in Spain.
- Advising Brazilian contractor on terms and conditions for use in connection with offshore services contract.
- Acting for a petrochemicals company in an LCIA arbitration in connection with disputes arising out of a design, build & operate agreement relating to a plant located in Malaysia.
- Advising a Saudi Arabian developer in connection with claims from a contractor consortium for extensions of time and additional costs arising out of force majeure events related to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Representing a Chinese contractor as claimant in a CIETAC arbitration seated in Beijing relating to disputes arising out of a project for the construction of a coal fired power plant project in Indonesia.
- Advising in connection with a project for the design and construction of an aircraft maintenance, repair, and overhaul facility at a London airport
- Acting for a UK contractor and its insurer against a specialist façade / external envelope consultant in connection with disputes relating to a large commercial development
- Advising a Spanish contractor in connection with disputes arising out of a number of EPC and O&M contracts relating to solar power installations in the UK.
- Acting for a Spanish construction and engineering company in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings seated in Singapore in connection with disputes arising out of a mining project in Western Australia.
- Advising an Indonesian construction and engineering company in multiple SIAC arbitrations relating to disputes under a suite of design, construction and installation contracts for complex machinery installed at a mine in Indonesia.
- Acting for Indonesian state-owned enterprise in UNCITRAL arbitration relating to disputes arising out of the construction of a coal-fired power plant in Indonesia.
- ICSID arbitration matter relating to disputes arising out of a project involving the design and construction of a new international airport terminal.
- Representing a French contractor in ICC administered expert proceedings relating to a project for the design and construction of a new metro system in the Middle East.
- Representing a developer in connection with several hotel projects in the UK including a new build hotel and apartment complex and the redevelopment and extension of two existing hotels.
- Advising an international wealth management fund in relation to the acquisition of a high value partially completed residential dwelling outside London, and an extensive subsequent redevelopment project.