Alec Boyd is a litigator with extensive experience representing domestic and foreign insurers in coverage disputes and bad faith claims. He also acts as coverage and monitoring counsel in connection with claims made under directors and officers, financial institutions, errors and omissions, professional liability and employment liability insurance policies. Over the course of the past decade, Alec has represented insurers in connection with securities fraud, shareholder derivative, consumer class action, and employment claims asserted against investment banks, mutual fund companies, technology companies, diversified conglomerates, and their management, including the IPO allocation, Enron, WorldCom, options backdating, and subprime mortgage claims.
Beyond his insurance experience, Alec has also defended attorneys, insurance brokers, and other professionals in malpractice actions, as well as represented businesses in general litigation, class and employment disputes. His experience includes all aspects of civil litigation from preliminary evaluation through appeal. While Alec is an active member of the California and Oregon State Bars, his litigation experience includes actions venued in Louisiana, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Texas, Delaware and Washington.
Alec holds an AV Peer Review Rating, the highest ranking for legal ability and general ethical standards, as reported by the LexisNexis Martindale – Hubbell Law Directory.
Alec has published articles in a variety of law journals and legal publications, served as a monthly columnist on professional liability case developments for the San Francisco and Los Angeles Daily Journal legal newspapers, and served on the Advisory Board for the practice guide California Causes of Action. He lectures on insurance coverage, professional liability, complex class actions and legal ethics at the invitation of clients, professional organizations, and legal publishers.
- California, 1992
- Oregon, 2007
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- J.D., Hastings College of the Law, University of California, 1992. Executive Editor of the Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly and recipient of the Hon. Matthew O. Tobriner Award.
- B.S., Rhetoric and Political Science, University of Oregon, 1989 Competed in academic debate and was named the second best speaker at the Cross-Examination Debate Association National Championships held at the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1988.