Julie Hawkinson practices in the areas of insurance coverage and insurance defense. For the past fifteen years, Julie has devoted her practice to representing domestic and international insurers in connection with claims made under a wide variety of policies, including technology and cyber liability, intellectual property infringement liability, professional liability and directors' and officers' liability policies. Julie has particular experience in evaluating complex and often high-stakes claims unique to the technology and media sector, including intellectual property, defamation, software implementation, advertising, privacy and right of publicity litigation. Julie also regularly advises insurers and policyholders with respect to data security breaches and notification requirements under applicable state and federal laws.
Julie works with insurers in the development of policy wordings and endorsements for technology errors and omissions and directors' and officers' liability policies. She frequently speaks on panels and in seminars on issues pertaining to insurance law, cyber liability and risk management.
In 2006, Julie was seconded to a leading Lloyd's syndicate where she worked directly with the syndicate's professional indemnity, marine and property/casualty teams on claims issues involving insurance and reinsurance policies and programs in North America. She also worked with the syndicate's underwriters to develop policy wordings and provided compliance and regulatory advice with regard to North American claims.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of California
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, Boalt School of Law, 2000. Associate editor of Asian Law Journal and member of Ecology Law Quarterly.
- B.S., cum laude, Business Administration (Finance), University of Southern California, 1997
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)