Michael Leong is an Associate and member of the Projects and Construction team at Clasis LLC since 2022.
Michael has represented developers, contractors, and construction professionals in high-value disputes under the SIAC and VIAC rules, at various levels of the Singapore Courts, adjudications under Singapore’s Building and Construction Security of Payment Act, and at mediations. His practice also encompasses representing and advising clients on tender and project documentation for private and public sector construction projects. Michael also has experience advising clients on high-value commercial transactions relating to M&A, joint venture agreements and shareholder agreements.
Previously, Michael was an Associate in a leading law firm in Singapore, focusing mainly on construction disputes.
He has been an advocate and solicitor in Singapore since 2021.
- Acting for a joint venture of Korean and Italian contractors in dispute board proceedings under the FIDIC Suite of Contracts, against a Vietnamese state-owned entity, in respect of claims for extension of time and prolongation costs arising out of an infrastructure project in Vietnam.
- Acting for a joint venture of Korean and Japanese contractors in a Vietnam International Arbitration Centre (“VIAC”) arbitration against a Vietnamese state-owned entity, in respect of claims for extensions of time and prolongation costs arising out of an infrastructure project in Vietnam.
- Acting for a main contractor of a national real estate infrastructure project in the Singapore High Court against a subcontractor, in respect of claims for liquidated damages, variations, termination and call of performance bond.
- Advised and provided ministerial briefing to a SEA government on a national public infrastructure project with a value of approximately S$4 billion
- Acted for a joint venture of Korean and Singapore contractors in a dispute relating to the construction of a national healthcare project with a value of more than S$1 billion
- Successfully defended a government-linked entity in a decade-long international arbitration involving delays in the construction of a public infrastructure project with a claim of more than S$58 million, with all claims dismissed
- Acted for a government-linked entity with claims on defects in a tunnel ventilation system amounting to more than S$8 million
- Successfully defended the CEO of StreetSine Technology Group in the Singapore High Court for alleged unlawful means conspiracy and minority oppression, with all claims dismissed
- Acted for a developer in the mediation and settlement of a Singapore High Court personal injury claim brought by a purchaser of a condominium development