Yvonne is an experienced Australian Special Counsel with expertise in a broad range of corporate areas such as establishment of operations, distribution channels, corporate governance, regulatory compliance and investigations, mergers & acquisitions and corporate restructures.
Yvonne has a depth of specialist experience in the Australian financial services sector, including advising companies on licensing requirements and obligations, directors' duties, compliance frameworks and portfolio transfers. She has represented financial services companies in a number of regulatory investigations and inquiries conducted by ASIC, APRA and the Financial Services Royal Commission, assisting clients with navigating the regulations and strategic responses to regulator inquiries.
Yvonne also advises a range of international and domestic insurers on indemnity and coverage matters across various lines including directors' and officers', professional indemnity and warranty and indemnity insurance. She also acts for clients on commercial disputes such as shareholder class actions, particularly in the Australian insurance sector.
Yvonne has been recognised as a recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021) for Insurance. She was also a finalist in the Lawyers Weekly 30 under 30 Awards (2018).
- Advising on the merger of two large global insurance companies and the intra-group portfolio transfer of the insurance business from one of the entities to the surviving entity following the integration of the two businesses
- Advising an international insurance company on a comprehensive compliance and corporate governance review of its Australian subsidiary
- Advising an insurer on structuring global parametric product offerings into Australia
- Advising on the establishment and acquisitions of underwriting agencies
- Advising an underwriting agency on product development of its personal lines insurance products and small medium enterprise insurance products and also its distribution arrangements for the transition from its former insurer to the new insurer of its products
- Advising a multinational insurance company on the restructure of the sales distribution model of one its divisions
- Advising on data governance and privacy obligations, including drafting appropriate data management frameworks, privacy policies, personal information collection statements and privacy training materials
Regulatory & Investigations
- Assisting a life insurance intermediary with its response to the Financial Services Royal Commission (FSRC)'s requests for information and attendance at the public hearings as a nominated case study for the life insurance sector, and also advising on its response to ASIC's investigation into its operations, which commenced prior to the FSRC's requests for information
- Advising a regulated entity on an extensive regulatory investigation regarding its compliance processes and negotiations with the regulator on an enforceable undertaking
- Advising a range of international and domestic insurers and underwriting agencies on financial services licensing requirements, distribution channels and prudential regulations.
- Advised international (re)insurers on the negotiation and drafting of terms of general and life quota share reinsurance agreements
- Advised on APRA approval processes in relation to general and life reinsurance policy wording terms and general and life reinsurance collateral arrangements
- Advising a global insurer on coverage and defence on a number of D&O insurance claims involving shareholder class actions against Australian listed companies
- Acting in a high profile dispute arising out of a M&A transaction and an associated breach of warranty claim