Arvitha served as a Legal and Risk officer to a listed construction company, where she provided legal and commercial support on several local and cross-border EPC projects, both during the execution phase and also to bring the projects to financial close.
Arvitha expertise lies in both litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Assisting a client developer in resisting an application for an interdict to prevent the further construction of residences in the development.
- Successfully obtained awards against state entity employer in provisional sentence proceedings.
- Successfully enforcing arbitration award on behalf of client contractor, and in certain instances this entailed following an appeal process to the Supreme Court of Appeal.
- Dispute Resolution:
- Well versed in mediations, adjudications as well as large-scale commercial arbitrations of both a local and international nature.
- Assisted a local client defend an arbitration before the ICC against a foreign Employer whilst simultaneously pursuing the client’s subcontractor through the local civil process, obtaining a contribution from the subcontractor to the claim and achieving a settlement of the dispute.
- Successfully pursued arbitration proceedings against a state entity employer on behalf of powerline contractor based on the NEC3 (Option B) contract
- Support to professional service providers in pursuing claims on termination of contracts as a consequence of COVID19 and the national lockdown, based on the NEC3 Professional Services Contract as read with the profession’s applicable guidelines.
- Provision of legal opinions, the preparation of contractual notices, claims and commercial correspondence and the provision of advice in respect of bespoke contracts and standard form contracts (NEC, FIDIC, JBCC and GCC).