Amber is a Senior Associate in the Marine, International Trade and Energy team in our Sydney office since May 2020.
Amber is a disputes resolution lawyer specialising in the transport, shipping and logistics sector. Amber works for shipowners, charterers, logistics and transport operators and their insurers, including P&I clubs.
Amber's work involves advising on contentious and non-contentious matters in the supply chain industry ranging from charterparty and bill of lading disputes, cargo claims and carriage of goods issues, ship arrests and logistics and chain of responsibility disputes. Amber also advises clients on general commercial litigation and mediation, regulatory and advisory work, insolvency law issues, debt recovery actions and procedural issues.
- Marine: Assisting shipowners in defending Federal Court proceedings for claims brought by cargo owners' alleging that the shipowners breached its obligations under Article 3.1 of the Amended Hague-Visby Rules arising from the grounding of a vessel in Indonesia.
- Marine: Assisting shipowners at first instance and on appeal to the Full Court of the Federal Court of Appeal in in rem proceedings challenging the arrest of a surrogate ship pursuant to section 19(b) of the Admiralty Act 1988 (Cth).
- Marine: Assisting shipowners in responding to investigations brought by the Hong Kong government officials in an alleged breach of MARPOL when she passed through the North Eastern Coast of Brazil.
- Marine: Advising a Marine Pilot company in obtaining onboard VDR data from a vessel to use in its investigations into an alleged breach of conduct of a Pilot.
- Marine: Advising logistics and transport operators on the unfair contract terms regime under the Australian Consumer Law and the ongoing compliance obligations under the National Law and Heavy Vehicle National Law.
- Marine: Advising shipowners on the ship registration requirements to fly an Australian flag under the Shipping Registration Act 1981 (Cth), including registration in the General Register and International Register.
- Commercial Litigation & ADR: Assisting in defending a large class action on behalf of an aeroplane manufacture and its insurer in the Supreme Court of New South Wales that involved 160+ claimants who experienced an uncontained engine failure while on board a flight.
- Insolvency & Reorganisation: Acting for carriers in issuing a statutory demand on a debtor company for outstanding detention charges and successfully winding up the debtor company in the Supreme Court of Victoria.