Sharaf is an associate in the projects & construction team and is based in Abu Dhabi. Sharaf is a Solicitor of England & Wales, having completed his training contract with Clyde & Co.
Sharaf has worked across Clyde & Co's offices in London and the GCC and has gained experience in both contentious and non-contentious construction matters. Sharaf has also represented governmental and international clients in relation to professional indemnity claims, dispute avoidance, cross-border D&O corruption claims, commercial agency litigation, LCIA and DIAC arbitrations and regulatory enforcement.
Sharaf is an Honours Graduate of Law from the University of Aberdeen in the United Kingdom and is fluent in both English and Arabic.
- Representing the contractor in a AED 1.2 billion DIAC arbitration arising out of the termination of the construction contract due to alleged failure to progress the works.
- Representing a developer in a DIAC arbitration in defence of claims for, amongst other things, an extension of time, prolongation costs, entitlement to variations and payment therefore arising from the construction of a UAE located resort.
- Representing a subcontractor in an ICC arbitration in relation to its claims for delay, prolongation costs and entitlement to variations in connection with a nitrogen pipeline project, located in the UAE.
- Advising and representing our client in connection with the enforcement of a London seated LCIA award in the ADGM Courts.
- Advising on, and liaising with local counsel in relation to local court validation and grievance proceedings arising from obtaining a successful attachment order against payment of our client's counter-security in relation to an LNG Port project in India.
- Advising a main contractor client in relation to progressing its claims for variations through the contract dispute resolution process including appointment of a dispute adjudication board (DAB).
- Advising on the enforceability of company and personal guarantees and the optimal ways of structuring these instruments.
- Acting for and providing insurance regulatory and licensing advice to international insurance companies and intermediaries.
- Acting for and providing advice to an international oil and gas company in a number of civil and criminal proceedings before the Abu Dhabi courts.
- Acting for a multinational technology corporation in an USD 500,000 dispute regarding a distribution agreement covering the Middle East and North Africa.