Patrick is engaged by insurer and insured clients to help them resolve directors & officers and professional indemnity claims and coverage issues, particularly litigated claims against financial companies and professionals, and fraud and fidelity matters.
Patrick is known for providing measured advice to directors and officers in large claims, during ASIC/ACCC investigations and prosecutions, and at Royal Commissions. He is regularly trusted by multi-national insurers to handle high-profile class actions and shareholder disputes.
Patrick is a regular presenter at industry forums and author of papers on industry trends affecting the future of insurance law. He is also an active committee member of APIG.
Patrick is recognised as a leading lawyer for Insurance Law and Professional Malpractice Litigation in The Best Lawyers in Australia 2021 edition.
Patrick is recognised by Insurance Business Australia as a 5-Star Insurance Lawyer.
Patrick is recognised by Doyles Guide as a Leading Professional Indemnity Lawyer 2021.
Directors & Officers
- Acting for the primary or excess D&O insurer of current shareholder class actions involving Crown Casinos, Spotless Holdings, RCR Tomlinson, Dick Smith and UGL.
- Advising one of Australia’s largest commercial insurers on its D&O portfolio exposure and coverage for the Banking Royal Commission.
- Advising the primary insurer of various financial lines policies about the collapse of one of Australia’s largest financial services companies- involving shareholder class action, Receivers’ action and a 5 year ASIC Investigation.
- Coverage counsel for primary or excess insurers in respect of current class actions plus significant prior class actions involving Centro Properties, Allco Finance, Leighton Holdings.
- Acting for a senior director in a multi-million dollar class action arising out of the collapse of MFS Ltd.
- Acting for the managing director, two non-executive directors and a senior officer of a failed mid-tier mining company in defence of a shareholder class action and two separate liquidator claims.
- Advising one of Australia’s largest commercial insurers on its PI portfolio exposure and coverage for the Banking Royal Commission.
- Acting for the PI insurers in the defence of investor class actions against Pitcher Partners (auditors of Slater & Gordon) and Australian Executor Trustees.
- Acting for various financial professionals (accountants, financial advisors and fund managers) in defence of claims against them.
Regulatory & Investigations
- Advising the insurer of one of Australia’s largest construction companies about professional services claims globally, including Grand Jury investigations in the US and resultant claims.
- Acting for insureds in various ACCC and ASIC investigations and prosecutions, including insider-trading and price-fixing investigations and prosecutions.
- Acting on behalf of varied medical professionals (including doctors, dentists and pharmacists) in professional investigations, disciplinary actions and prosecutions.