Attieha is a passionate lawyer who has developed a strong expertise in complex, technical construction litigation and professional liability and financial risk cases.
With a strong commitment to professional rigour and attention to detail, Attieha listens attentively to her clients to identify their needs, understand the issues and determine their objectives so as to implement pragmatic solutions to achieve them. Attieha is an excellent negotiator who is often called upon to act in alternative dispute resolution matters.
Attieha has been a part of the Clyde & Co team since 2008. She represents several insurers in construction insurance coverage litigation and defends construction and financial professionals in error and omission lawsuits. She is a member of the Quebec Bar and frequently appears before the various Quebec courts and tribunals, including the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal.
Attieha graduated from the Université de Montréal where she was awarded several scholarships for academic excellence. During her university studies, Attieha was a research assistant for Professors Pierre Trudel and Stéphane Beaulac and completed an internship with the Honourable André Rochon, former judge of the Quebec Court of Appeal.
Attieha also distinguishes herself through her commitment to the cause of diversity and inclusion within the legal profession and through pro bono cases to foster access to justice. She is also a sitting member of the Ethics and Professionalism Committee of the Montreal Bar.
In 2016, Attieha was named a finalist for Civil and Commercial Lawyer of the Year in the Young Bar of Montreal’s “Les Leaders de demain” Gala. In 2021, she was was awarded as Rising Star – Leading Lawyers under 40 by Lexpert, an acknowledgement of her dedication and excellence by her peers.
- Represented a national engineering firm in a $74M lawsuit in connection with the collapse of a pier during the construction of marine infrastructure in northern Quebec;
- Represented a general contractor in a $9M lawsuit in connection with the collapse of a wharf in Charlevoix, Quebec;
- Represented an accountant in a $30M class action brought by investors;
- Represented a real estate developer in a $10M lawsuit in connection with construction defects affecting a condominium development project;
- Represented a wrap-up insurer in a $100M coverage litigation matter involving the renovation of hundreds of properties in northern Quebec;
- Represented an engineer specialized in hydroelectric turbines in litigation involving a turbine breakdown;
- Successfully represented a builder’s risk insurer, obtaining the dismissal of the action Compagnie d'assurances Missisquoi c. Constructions Reliance Inc. (Construction Reliance du Canada ltée), 2020 QCCA 947, 2018 QCCS 1049;
- Represented a structural engineer in connection with the collapse of a building Clouâtre c. Factory Mutual Insurance Company, 2011 QCCA 1690, 2009 QCCS 1057;
- Represented engineers, contractors and insurers in several environmental lawsuits;
- Represented several wrap-up insurers in various coverage litigation before the Quebec courts;
- Represented financial service professionals before the Quebec courts;
- Represented an engineer acting as an expert in the pyrrhotite legal saga and obtained the dismissal of abusive proceedings instituted against him before the Court of Appeal (Bérubé c. Lafarge Canada inc., 2016 QCCA 874).
Publications & Conferences
- « La solidarité et ses impacts en assurance », présentée lors des Petits-déjeuners-conférences de Clyde & Cie, novembre 2017;
- Attieha R. Chamaa et Jo-Anne Demers, « Le harcèlement sexuel en milieu professionnel : y a-t-il lieu de s'inquiéter? », Colloque en déontologie, droit professionnel et disciplinaire 2016, Formation continue du Barreau du Québec, mai 2016;
- « L'interrogatoire au préalable? », 71e Congrès annuel du Jeune Barreau, mai 2016;
- Attieha R. Chamaa et Jo-Anne Demers, « Le harcèlement sexuel en milieu professionnel : y a-t-il lieu de s'inquiéter? », Développements récents en déontologie, droit professionnel et disciplinaire 2016, vol. 416, Cowansville (Québec), Yvon Blais, 2016, 171;
- « Le harcèlement : comment y réagir? », Conférence Barreau de Montréal – AABC, novembre 2015;
- « À la suite de l'affaire Gomeshi : regard sur le harcèlement sexuel et les autres formes de discrimination », Congrès annuel du Barreau du Québec, juin 2015;
- « L'obligation de défendre : les tribunaux ont-ils fait le tour du jardin? », Colloque Développements récents en droit des assurances 2009, Formation continue du Barreau du Québec;
- Dominic Naud et Attieha R. Chamaa, « L'obligation de défendre : les tribunaux ont-ils fait le tour du jardin? », Développements récents en droit des assurances 2009, vol. 306, Cowansville (Québec), Yvon Blais, 2009, 67.