Tristan advises on contentious and non-contentious restructuring and insolvency work, including matters involving fraud and complex cross border disputes.
He has experience covering the full spectrum of insolvency work, acting for insolvency practitioners, private equity houses, banks, pension schemes, asset based lenders, corporate entities, directors, debtors, and creditors.
Tristan's practice frequently involves bringing complex claims against former office holders, often including multi-jurisdictional aspects and high value claims.
On contentious matters, Tristan has considerable experience of mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution as well as court action (where necessary), in order to achieve excellent results for clients
- Acting for the joint provisional liquidators of a Bermudian solvent investment fund on various issues, including recognition of their foreign proceeding, investigations following the same, and a subsequent termination application in respect of the recognition.
- Advising telent Technology Services Limited (“telent”) in respect of insolvency issues arising out of the compulsory liquidation of telent's joint venture partner, Carillion Utilities Services Limited and its ultimate parent, Carillion plc, in respect of multi-million pound ongoing customer contracts for support and maintenance of critical national infrastructure and installation of superfast broadband, including contracts with British Telecommunications plc.
- Acting for the liquidator of a BVI company and successfully obtaining costs orders against four respondents to an application under section 236 Insolvency Act 1986 on the basis that the respondents would not have co-operated with the liquidator’s enquiries without a court order for private examination.
- Acting for liquidators on a number of matters involving significant claims against former directors arising from the respective company entering into unlawful tax-avoidance schemes.
- Acting for the administrators of a number of insolvent credit unions, liaising regularly with the industry regulators (the FCA and PRA) and major creditors (such as the FSCS).
- Advising a major UK airline on all insolvency related issues following the collapse of a number of competitors, including in respect of take-off and landing slots.
- Acting on various insolvency-related business and asset sales, acting for buyers and for sellers.