Colette has 15 years of experience in professional indemnity matters and in that time has advised a wide variety of professionals in negligence claims and professional complaints, including solicitors, advocates, surveyors, architects, accountants, engineers, financial advisers and insurance brokers. She also provides advice to insurers on coverage issues.
Colette routinely acts for professionals in complex and high value claims, including in cross border disputes. She has particular experience in advising and representing legal professionals facing regulatory complaints.
Colette is respected for her detailed knowledge of the law, her strategic planning and her pragmatic approach to resolving claims.
- Defending claims made against litigators for alleged negligence in the pursuit, and defence, of legal proceedings (including criminal proceedings).
- Defending law firms facing claims arising out of complex and high value commercial transactions, including claims arising from commercial property acquisitions and development projects, commercial leasing transactions, and corporate acquisitions/disposals and restructures.
- Advising legal professionals in complaints made to and investigated by SLCC and representing legal professionals in conduct complaints investigated by the Law Society of Scotland and the Faculty of Advocates.
- Representing construction professionals, including building contractors and M&E engineers, in claims arising from commercial building projects.
- Defending national firms of surveyors in claims arising from property valuations and survey reports.
- Representing a firm of accountants in high value claim for allegedly negligent offshore tax advice.
- Advising IFAs facing complaints before the Financial Ombudsman Service.
- Representing a number of educational institutions in claims and judicial review proceedings concerning their fitness to practice, disciplinary and admissions procedures.