Alexander has expertise in a number of lines of insurance and has managed complex matters involving property, public liability, product liability, industrial special risks, professional indemnity, D&O and construction insurance policies in Australia. This includes:
- coverage advice;
- defence of claims for indemnity made against insurers by policyholders;
- acting as defence counsel in claims made against policyholders;
- acting in appeals; and
- subrogated recovery claims.
Alexander's experience ranges from small claims to complex multi-party disputes.
He is an experienced litigation lawyer and has been involved on both the plaintiff and defendant side in litigation across a range of sectors.
His clients include multi-national corporations, SME businesses, insurance and reinsurance companies and Lloyd's syndicates.
- Business interruption: advising insurers on a range of policy claims made by hospitality and accommodation providers arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Public liability: acting for a major multinational mining company in defence of claims arising out of the damage and destruction of mining equipment worth in excess of $10 million
- Personal injury: advising insurers in relation to catastrophic personal injury claims with quantum over $10 million
- Fatal accidents: acting for insurers and insureds in relation to multiple fatal accident claims
- Professional indemnity: acting for solicitors and barristers in defence of negligence claims brought by former clients
- Professional indemnity: acting for engineers and architects in relation to a range of construction projects
- Professional indemnity: acting for a variety of insureds in the financial services sector, including accountants and financial planners, in relation to negligence claims
- Professional indemnity: acting for a publically listed engineering firm (and its insurers) in relation to claims arising out of the construction of a major processing facility in the UK
- Directors and Officers: advising and acting for insurers in relation to a coverage dispute brought by the creditors of a failed mining company in the Federal Court of Australia
- Directors and Officers: acting for officers of publically listed mining companies in relation to alleged breach of duties and misleading and deceptive conduct
- Directors and Officers: acting in defence of a defamation claims brought against C-Suite executives
- Property: advising and acting for insurers in relation to a recovery claim for a resort destroyed by fire worth around $15 million
- Property: advising insurers in relation to coverage disputes arising out of the operation of construction liability policies