Brett Grindrod is a dedicated problem solver whose practice focuses on insurance coverage litigation and counseling. He has represented insurers in disputes regarding abuse, allocation, bad faith, business interruption, claims-made policies, commercial disputes, cyber, environmental and toxic torts, extra-contractual liability, first-party property, and mass tort bankruptcies. These representations have spanned federal and state court, and arbitration.
Brett enjoys the strategic aspect of litigation, and he has honed his skills against aggressive opposing counsel across the country. He has experience in all stages of litigation, including second chairing a multi-week arbitration; deposing fact and expert witnesses; preparing witnesses for testimony and depositions; drafting dispositive motions; discovery disputes; oral argument; and developing and executing case strategies.
As an active participant in pro bono initiatives, Brett helps victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse procure civil protection orders.
Before law school, Brett was a claims adjuster, focusing on environmental and toxic tort claims, for a major insurer.
- District of Columbia
- US District Court for the District of Maryland
- J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School, 2014
- B.A., cum laude, Bucknell University, 2009
- American Bar Association – Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Defended insurer in litigation regarding property, cyber and business interruption coverage arising out of the NotPetya cyber-attack.
- Part of National Coordinating Counsel team for insurance coverage issues arising out of sexual abuse cases, including mass tort bankruptcies.
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurer in a coverage action regarding claimed lost or stolen items in excess of USD 4 million.
- Obtained summary judgment and affirmance of summary judgment at the Fifth Circuit for insurer with respect to a USD 25+ million claim for defense and indemnity under a claims-made pollution liability policy.
- Represented carrier with respect to complex insurance issues arising from a building materials manufacturer's asbestos and environmental-related bankruptcy.
- Defended life insurance company in numerous credit disability insurance lawsuits brought around the country arising from alleged mortgage loan insurance benefits fraud.
- Represented insurance company in a multi-party, multi-state litigation arising out of insurance broker fraud in excess of USD 50 million.
- Defended insurer with respect to USD 17.5 million in first-party property claims made in connection with flooding caused by “Superstorm Sandy.”
- Defended insurance company in coverage litigation arising out of alleged claims of injury from exposure to asbestos products.