Justin is a Senior Associate in the Corporate Regulatory & Insurance team in the Sydney office.
As an experienced regulatory and insurance lawyer, Justin specialises in advising financial services clients on regulatory and corporate matters, including complex coverage issues, insurance and financial services obligations, regulatory investigations, sanctions issues (with particular focus on ransomware payments) and modern slavery obligations. Justin also acts for insurance clients in major commercial litigation and complex recovery matters.
Prior to joining Clyde & Co, Justin worked in the financial lines team of a national insurance law firm , where he acted for and advised insurer clients on professional indemnity and directors and officers liability insurance matters.
- Regulatory: Sanctions – Advising international client on Australia’s sanctions framework and sanctions risks relating to sale of a marine vessel used for offshore oil drilling to a Russian entity
- Regulatory: Ransomware – Advising client on sanctions compliance issues relating to ransomware payments, including relevant due diligence to minimise sanctions risks
- Regulatory: Modern Slavery – Advising a charitable organisation petitioning the Federal Government to create a national compensation scheme for victims and survivors of modern slavery
- Regulatory: Regulatory Investigation – Advising accountancy firm on responding to an ASIC investigation into audit practices, including root cause analysis and internal training requirements
- Corporate: Consumer Wordings – Advising insurer on amendments to standard consumer wordings for travel insurance policies to comply with unfair contract terms regime, anti-discrimination laws and other regulatory issues
- Commercial Litigation: Trade Credit – Acting for a major ASX 50 listed financial services business in defending complex Federal Court proceedings relating to claims on trade credit insurance policies by administrators and creditors of an international fintech company
- International Recovery – Acting for an insurer seeking recovery of debts arising from a business interruption claim due to cancellation of an international theatrical production in China during the COVID-19 pandemic
- International Arbitration – Advising on termination of a share purchase agreement under Australian law as part of an international arbitration case concerning a lithium mining licence in the DRC