Kirsty is a Senior Associate in our International Trade and Shipping team, having joined the Firm in 2012. She advises on a broad range of physical commodities trading disputes and shipping matters for clients across a range of markets including energy, metals and soft commodities.
Kirsty has extensive experience in both arbitration (including LCIA, LMAA, FOSFA and GAFTA) and the High Court in London but also regularly provides ‘live’ dispute resolution advice ‘behind the scenes’, helping clients avoid formal proceedings. She is also well placed to provide non-contentious advice to shipping and trading clients and often carries out reviews of trading contract and charterparty terms.
- Representing clients in back to back LMAA and HKIAC proceedings concerning the illegal deviation and arrest of a vessel carrying nickel ore
- Representing clients in SIAC proceedings in respect of a disputed crude pricing mechanism
- Providing ‘behind the scenes’ advice to trader following anticipatory breach of counterparty following sharp turn in market price
- Advising trader following failure by counterparty to open L/C including advice on subsequent contract re-negotiation, payment security and the implications on underlying purchase agreement
- Representing cargo interests in a multi-million dollar FOSFA arbitration appeal concerning the arrest of a vessel and the subsequent deterioration of the cargo onboard
- Day-to-day trading advice to clients, including super-majors, on contractual issues such as force majeure, delivery obligations, payment rights, demurrage and termination rights.
- Advising clients on a multi-billion dollar offtake agreement
- Co-ordinating a multi-jurisdiction analysis of netting arrangements for a petrochemicals trader
- Review of numerous charterparty terms including VLEC charter and LPG charter.