Afraz has advised leading district cooling service providers in the UAE as part of his previous role.
Afraz has almost 10 years of experience in advising leading corporates, private equity houses, sovereign wealth funds, strategic/financial investors, governments, and management teams on various domestic, cross-border, and multi-jurisdictional corporate/commercial matters.
He specialises in cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity, joint ventures, corporate restructurings, foreign direct investments, public-private partnerships, investment funds, commercial contracts, licensing, and regulatory matters. He has worked with clients operating in various business sectors, including logistics, technology, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, real estate, manufacturing, and financial services.
- Advising Vitol on the purchase of the operational assets of a solar PV plant in Bahrain.
- Advising ICD on its acquisition of the logistics business of Inchcape Shipping Services (owned by Dubai World), a global port agency, marine and survey services business, to set up ISS.
- Advising the shareholders of a well-known fitness business in the UAE on a sale of the business to a listed company in the UK.
- Advising a leading business information and credit rating business on a sale of its risk management services (RMS) business in the Middle East.
- Advising the NCR Corporation on the sale of its paper manufacturing business in the UAE.
- Advising some of the world’s top private equity houses including KKR, Blackstone and TPG Capital on investments into and exits from major Indian owned businesses.
- Advising L’Oreal on the purchase of a hair colour manufacturing plant in Himachal Pradesh, India.
- Advising leading Indian businesses including the Tata group on various strategic acquisitions, divestments and joint ventures.
- Joined ISS Global Forwarding (ISS) as a start-up in 2018 and was part of the core management team that led the rapid expansion of the business into what is now a global logistics business.
- Advising ISS (within a relatively short time frame) on multiple strategic acquisitions of local logistics businesses in the UAE, India, Turkey, South East Asia, Italy, South Africa, Egypt, Turkey, Spain and advising on incorporations across Africa, the Middle East, the US, Europe and Asia.
- Advising ISS on joint ventures with local partners in Sri Lanka, Luxembourg, Egypt, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq, Turkey, South Africa, Mozambique, Nigeria, Ghana, Tanzania, Kenya, Taiwan and Vietnam, including negotiating JV agreements and, resolving and litigating JV disputes.
- Advising ISS on project logistics contracts with major oil & gas corporations including ExxonMobil, Petrofac, ENI Shipping and Saipem.
- Set up and implemented a compliance framework for ISS including implementing and monitoring an international trade sanctions programme.