Juan Pablo conducts contract drafting and strategic project advice for high value complex projects. With 20 years of practice in the field, Juan Pablo has experience in all forms of construction contracts (including DB, BOT, EPC/TK and EPCM contracting) in a wide range of sectors in Chile and in Latin America.
Juan Pablo’s is often highlighted as one of the leaders of Chile local construction market for its deep understanding of the construction industry and its extensive experience in dispute resolution. According to Chambers 2022 Mr. Halpern ‘is singled out as a person with extensive knowledge of the field and with very clear ideas about how to find solutions to conflicts’.
- Advising Canadian mining company in relation to the development of two major infrastructure projects for the Mantoverde Development Project and the Mantos Blancos Debottlenecking Project, in Atacama and in Antofagasta, Chile, respectively
- Acted as counsel to a Chilean mining company in a claim against Fluor for gross negligence in the construction of a greenfield project. This was a multimillion-dollar claim acted in conjunction with another international law firm.
- Acted as counsel to Anheuser-Busch InBev in the preparation and negotiation of domestic and international agreements for the purchase and sale of goods, DB contracts, among others in relation to a US$100 plus million brewery plant expansion in Santiago, Chile.
- Representing a Chilean construction company in the in the negotiation of a US$140 million contract for the construction of a residential complex in Santiago City.
- Acting for a Chilean mining group on the selection and preparation of the contractual framework to support two mine expansion projects (aggregated value over US$ 3billion).
- Advising a Peruvian mining company on drafting a series of key contracts to support the Magistral development project in Peru.
- Advising a Canadian energy company in the preparation of the construction and S&I contracts of a 110 MW hydroelectric power plant project in the south of Chile.
- Advising a Chilean construction conglomerate in the execution of several EPC contracts for Teck Quebrada Blanca mine expansion in the north of Chile.
- Acted as counsel to DP World in relation to the construction of port facilities in Chile, including non-contention work related to claims presented by an EPC contractor.
- Advising Polish/Australian mining company in relation to the development of two major infrastructure projects for the Sierra Gorda Expansion Project and the Sierra Gorda Debottlenecking Project, in Atacama and in Antofagasta, Chile, respectively.