Richard is a Legal Director based in the Clyde & Co London cyber team.
Richard qualified as a Solicitor in April 2016 specialising in contentious areas of work, with a particular focus on data privacy, regulatory compliance, complex fraud, cyber-crime and contentious data protection matters; providing clients with representation as both an advocate and a litigator in a wide range of work. He has two quality standard accreditations from the Law Society for litigation (awarded to lawyers demonstrating a high level of knowledge, skill and experience) and has also obtained certifications in cyber security (GSEC GIAC).
Richard has worked with a range of different clients on both contentious and non-contentious matters, including leaders in the technology, finance, insurance, data broking and ad-tech industries, and has significant experience advising on data breach response, regulatory investigations and litigation.
Within the Legal 500 (2022) rankings Richard is described by one former client as having the “ability to consider legal questions from a variety of positions and in particular his impressive technical knowledge allow him to wade much further into complicated matters than most other lawyers in his field.”
- Regulatory defence and engagement - successfully defended a global communications company in regulatory enforcement proceedings brought by the ICO for alleged contraventions of the direct marketing rules (enforcement action discontinued by the ICO following the defence put forward on behalf of the client).
- Regulatory defence and engagement - successfully defended a financial institution under investigation by the ICO for alleged breaches of data protection law, preventing enforcement action and the imposition of financial penalty.
- Regulatory defence and engagement - defending a large data broker in relation to proposed enforcement action by the ICO. Successfully preventing the imposition of an Enforcement Notice through the strategy and defence adopted.
- Regulatory defence and engagement - advising an international technology company on its strategy and response to regulatory investigations in multiple territories relating to alleged data breaches and non-compliant data processing.
- Cyber - advising an international manufacturing business on its response to a widescale ransomware incident, including managing the forensic investigation, reporting obligations and engagement with regulators, litigation and strategy.
- Cyber - advising a large financial institution in relation to a large-scale personal data breach involving multiple territories, managing the incident internationally, and advising on regulatory reporting requirements and engagement with regulators.
- Cyber - advising an international manufacturer following a ransomware incident involving major business disruption (including disruption to businesses downstream in the supply chain) and a large breach of sensitive data.
- Cyber - advising multiple international businesses on the applicability of the GDPR to cyber incidents suffered outside of the UK/EU.
- Cyber - advising an international organisation involved in military and defence services and assisting their response to a major cyber incident impacting multiple territories.