Jessica has significant experience advising clients on both commercial and contentious matters. From a disputes perspective she works on cases in the English Courts and in LMAA and other arbitrations. She also advises on contracts and transactions in the marine and insurance sectors.
Jessica regularly advises on disputes and commercial aspects of shipping contracts, including charterparties, bills of lading, shipbuilding contracts and ship management agreements.
Jessica has a wealth of experience in cases concerning liquid, gas and dry cargoes, but has particular experience of energy shipping and tanker contracts and claims.
Her clients include shipowners, charterers, ship managers, oil majors and other energy companies, traders and their insurers/reinsurers.
Jessica chairs and speaks at various Lloyds Maritime Academy courses, including the Bills of Lading Masterclass. She is a course leader on the topic "Time Charterparties" as part of the BIMCO e-learning series. She also provides bespoke training for clients on a variety of shipping, trade and marine insurance topics.
Jessica is listed by Legal 500 for shipping.
- AIC Ltd v Marine Pilot Ltd (The “Archimidis”)  2 Lloyd's Rep. 101 (First instance)  EWCA Civ 175 (Court of Appeal): Dead freight in circumstances where cargo available, but not shipped and meaning of “1 sp....” where the port is also named.
- Carriage of goods
- Representing charterers defending a damage to ship claim arising out of the carriage of liquid cargo.
- Representing charterers in hire and other disputes arising out of the long term detention of a vessel by local authorities.
- Representing owners and charterers in relation to claims in the UK arising out of the termination of charters (following counterparty insolvency in another jurisdiction).
- Representing owners and their insurers defending high value liquid cargo contamination claims.
- Representing owners and their insurers defending cargo shortage and ROB claims (and pursuing associated unpaid freight claims).
- Representing owners and their insurers in relation to the general average position, delay and other claims arising after a grounding.
- Representing buyers progressing delay and quality claims against a shipyard in respect of a number of vessels, including advising on measures to obtain delivery of the vessels in the face of the yard's refusal.
- Representing a shipping investment and technical consulting company in a debt recovery action against a state owned shipyard following the cancellation by the buyers of a number of shipbuilding contracts.
- Advising and representing shipowners, former shipowners and insurers where insurance coverage issues arise.
- Representative commercial matters include:
- Advising shipowners on sale and purchase contracts and associated contractual documentation to support a proposed IPO.
- Advising marine projects companies, shipowners and shipyards on all legal aspects of the newbuilding process, including newbuilding supervision, and disputes which arise pre- and post-delivery.
- Drafting bespoke contracts, such as a security guards contract for shipowners (prior to the development of BIMCO GUARDCON) and newbuilding supervision contracts (prior to the development of BIMCO SUPERMAN).