Julie Nevins has over 20 years of experience litigating a wide range of complex insurance and commercial disputes in federal and state trial and appellate courts. She regularly represents insurers in coverage and bad-faith disputes with respect to first-party property, commercial general liability, professional liability, and directors’ and officers’ liability insurance. Julie’s practice also spans numerous substantive areas including unfair competition, misrepresentation, fraud, real property, intellectual property, and breach of contract.
Florida – all state courts
US District Courts for the Southern, Middle, and Northern Districts of Florida
US Court of Appeals for the Third and Eleventh Circuits
J.D., magna cum laude, Florida State University College of Law, 1999. Order of the Coif; Editor-in-Chief, Florida State University Law Review
B.A., Vassar College, 1987
- Obtained complete defense verdict in favor of insurer following two-week jury trial in Florida state court in first-party property institutional bad faith case seeking punitive damages.
- Obtained dismissal of multiple actions in various jurisdictions by policyholders seeking coverage for business interruption losses arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Obtained summary judgment defeating attempted enforcement of USD 40 million Coblentz judgment against insurer, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class action alleging violations of the Medicare Secondary Payer Act against insurer.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer, defeating claim for coverage by estoppel, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Panelist, "COVID Coverage Litigation and Its Variants: Where We Are Now and What Lies Ahead," AIRROC Summer Membership Meeting, July 1, 2022
- Panelist, “Business Interruption in the Era of COVID,” AIRROC Webinar, September 9, 2020
- Speaker, “COVID-19 Insurance Claims: Challenges for the Entertainment Industry,” AMEC Webinar, June 3, 2020
- Speaker, “COVID-19 P&C Insurance Perspectives,” SIFM Webinar, April 22, 2020
- Speaker, “Insurance Industry Perspectives on COVID-19,” FTI Consulting Webinar, March 31, 2020
- Co-author, “What's the matter with Florida's home insurance market,” PropertyCasualty360, 2022
- Co-author, “Will Business Interruption Insurance Provide Coverage for Coronavirus Losses?” Insurance Law Coverage Center, 2020
- Co-author, “The State of Medicare Secondary Payer Act Litigation,” Law360, 2018