Iris is an Associate in the Privacy & Cybersecurity team in Clyde & Co’s Sydney office. Iris specialises in privacy, cybersecurity and technology and regularly advises on the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles.
She has co-authored articles and guidance in the LexisNexis Privacy Law Bulletin and OneTrust Data Guidance and published submissions to the Law Commission of England and Wales consultation papers on smart contracts and digital assets. Iris has also co-authored a chapter on the Internet of Things aimed at in-house counsel in Australia.
Data Protection & Privacy
- As part of a ‘big four’ bank’s privacy uplift, conducted privacy review and advised on the client’s service offerings and operations of its international offices including in the UK and EU.
- Advised a major Australian company on UK privacy considerations regarding the processing of personal information of UK data subjects in Australia, including analysis of data processing addendums.
- Advised a large international blockchain videogame developer on its GDPR exposure.
- Drafted a privacy compliant response checklist for a large Australian university.
- Advised a large car manufacturer on privacy compliance including with respect to its proposed collection of geolocation information in Australia.
- Conducted a privacy review audit and uplift for a large Australian charity in a ‘traffic light’ report.
- Drafted a Transfer Impact Assessment for a large US-based technology company.
- Drafted a Data Retention Schedule for a large Australian radio station.
- Advised established businesses and start-ups on regulatory compliance, financial services licensing, consumer credit, Buy Now Pay Later offerings, corporate structuring and digital currency exchange registration with AUSTRAC.
- Prepared documentation and coordinating application for listing an exchange traded fund indexed to the spot price of bitcoin.
- Advised one of Australia’s largest digital currency exchanges on token listings and offer of staking services on their platforms to Australian customers.
- Managed AFSL variation and ASIC requisitions for one of the first named scheme crypto-asset authorisations in Australia.
- Advised on the application of the Australian multinational tax-avoidance legislation and interest withholding tax provisions in the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 (Cth) to cryptocurrency investments.
- Drafted Confirmation of Bare Trust & Agency Deeds and Letter of Consent to Variation to allow clients to hold cryptocurrency on trust.
- Lead audit of a technology company’s use of open-source software licenses and prepared report advising on copyright issues.
- Advised international ‘med-tech’ and pharmaceutical companies on conducting clinical trials in Australia and New Zealand including privacy review and uplift of clinical trial documentation to comply with local laws.
- Advised on key agreements for a major car manufacturer.
- Advised a major global insurer on the application of the Security of Critical Infrastructure Act 2018 (Cth) to its business and its obligations under same.