Owen has over ten years of experience in litigation, acting for both claimants and defendants in commercial disputes, primarily in professional negligence, financial litigation, and group actions.
Owen acts for legal professionals, design and construction professionals, financial institutions, commercial property firms, and educational providers. He also advises upon insurance policy coverage issues.
Claims against legal professionals
- Defending claims bought against law firms in respect of 'lost ligitation' cases brought by their former clients, including claims relating to the outcomes of interim applications such as strike out and security for costs
- Defending claims against conveyancing professionals in relation to lease extensions and negotiations, ground rent clauses, conflicts of duty, and reports on title
- Successfully defended a professional negligence claim brought by a family against a solicitor in its capacity as court-appointed receiver of a deceased's estate
- Successfully defended claims brought against barristers for allegedly undersettling personal injury cases, allegedly defective advocacy and criminal defence proceedings
Claims against design and construction professionals
- Successfully defended a claim against a cavity wall insulating company in respect of an apartment complex that it was alleged needed to be re-built as a result of the method of insulation used
- Sucessfully defended an architectural practice in respect of allegedly defective restoration of a historic monument
- Defending claims against planning consultants and structural engineers in respect of planning permission applications and enforcement proceedings brought by local authorities
Claims against higher education providers
- Defending claims against colleges and universities relating to allegedly negligent teaching, breaches of safeguarding duties, discrimination, harassment, copyright infringement and complaints to the OIA.