Edward (Ned) Sears focuses his practice on litigating aviation, product liability, maritime, and transportation disputes. He has experience in all aspects of civil litigation, in both federal and state court, including significant wrongful death, catastrophic personal injury, and property damage claims. He has succeeded on multiple pre-trial dispositive motions, including demurrers and motions for summary judgment.
Prior to joining Clyde & Co, Ned represented land and marine-based clients in a range of maritime and general liability matters. He also has experience defending public entities in personal injury and employment matters.
Before attending law school, Ned worked as a book editor with Oxford University Press in New York.
- US District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Central Districts of California
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, 2013. Comments Editor, University of San Francisco Law Review.
- B.A., Diplomatic History, University of Pennsylvania, 2007
- Prevailed on summary judgment and on appeal on behalf of municipality in maritime wrongful death action, resulting in reported appellate decision affirming the applicability of a government immunity.
- Prevailed on motion for summary adjudication and negotiated successful settlement of lawsuit involving traumatic brain injury sustained by passenger on whale watching vessel.
- Obtained summary judgment in unlawful detainer case against marina tenant, including award of costs and attorney’s fees.
- Negotiated favorable settlement defending marina operator against negligence and product liability claims arising from severe propeller strike incident.
- Represented major marine construction companies in Jones Act cases involving catastrophic crush and amputation cases.