Oscar advises on all aspects of cyber, data protection and privacy, including in relation to organisational resilience, data breach and response and privacy-related litigation.
Oscar advises multinational companies and insurers at all stages of a cyber incident, including breach response, recovery actions, regulatory investigations, and related challenges such as private enforcement through individual and group litigation, DSARs, and regulatory and judicial appeal processes. He also advises clients on privacy and data protection issues arising out of general contentious matters, including in litigation and arbitral proceedings.
Oscar has extensive international experience. Before focusing on cyber, Oscar had a strong commercial disputes and arbitration practice, advising corporates and funds in shareholder disputes and disputes arising out of complex commercial transactions and joint venture arrangements, in arbitral proceedings, including under the rules of the LCIA, HKIAC, and ICC, and before the English and Hong Kong courts.
Oscar speaks fluent French and Mandarin Chinese.
- Advising an international insurance business in its global incident response following a cyber attack affecting its global systems and in related regulatory investigations and contentious actions in multiple jurisdictions
- Advising a US-based technology company in its global incident response following a cyber attack involving the loss of significant customer records subsequently offered on the dark web, and in the consequent ICO investigation
- Advising an international engineering company in its global incident response following a spear phishing and spoofing cyber attack and an EU DPA investigation
- Advising a high-profile non-profit organisation in its incident response following a cyber attack involving a zero-day exploit, including working with the software manufacturer and a national security agency
- Advising a large US-based non-profit organisation in relation to its international legal and regulatory exposure following a significant compromise of its systems
- Advising a high-profile technology company in connection with an SEC investigation and connected litigation involving a private placement of a new cryptocurrency built on novel blockchain technology
- Advising a major international advertising company in an internal investigation into various corporate misdemeanours and related legal and regulatory exposure, including data protection issues
- Successfully defending a Dutch company in a joint venture shareholder and tax dispute in an LCIA arbitration in connection with multi-billion-dollar retail operations
- Securing a comprehensive victory for a Chinese technology company and its consortium partner in a series of shareholder disputes before the courts in multiple jurisdictions and at the HKIAC concerning the privatisation of a NASDAQ-listed company
- Representing a major Asian client in a complex trusts dispute valued in excess of US $10 billion involving court proceedings in multiple jurisdictions
- (Pro bono) Representing Amnesty International in its intervention in a case before the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal on the recognition of foreign marriages between same-sex couples