Marc Voses is a seasoned advisor to start-ups and mature entities, with a particular focus on insurance industry participants, including agents, brokers, MGAs, MGUs, and InsureTech ventures. Marc’s experience ranges from counseling on transactions, regulatory compliance, and formation issues. In addition, Marc has represented clients at trials and appeals in state and federal courts throughout the United States, domestic and international mediations and arbitrations, and regulatory investigations before the US Attorney’s Office, Department of Homeland Security, Securities and Exchange Commission, various state and district offices of the Attorney General, and the New York Department of Financial Services.
Clients value Marc’s experience with dispute work, which carries over to his advising on corporate transactions, and contract drafting and negotiation, including insurance policies and endorsements, reinsurance contracts, intermediary agreements, MSAs, SLAs, parametric contracts, and other commercial contracts.
Marc’s insurance coverage practice includes handling complex coverage and claim handling issues and disputes arising under insurance policies, such as cyber, technology and media, energy, directors' and officers', property, political risk, trade credit, CGL, and management and professional liability.
Marc is widely known for his regular representation of clients in matters related to cyber incidents, data privacy and protection, and cybersecurity. He is frequently invited to speak at conferences and is quoted by the media on these issues. Clients rely on his extensive experience with issues related to computer system and security failures, pre-breach planning and post-breach response, and ransomware payment negotiation.
Early in his career, Marc worked in the audit and attestation group of Deloitte.
- New York
- New Jersey
- US District Court for the District of New Jersey
- US District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law, 1999. Chief Justice, Moot Court Honor Society.
- B.A., magna cum laude, St. John’s University School of Business Administration, 1994. Beta Alpha Psi Honor Society.
- Successfully represented an insurer in the seminal insurance coverage litigation involving Sony’s request for coverage under its commercial general liability policies for a cyber-attack that resulted in a data breach and subsequent class action litigation by the affected customers.
- Successfully represented insurers in disputes with policyholders concerning coverage under professional E&O policies.
- Successfully represented insurers in coverage litigation against private equity firms seeking coverage for claims arising out of professional services related to mortgage backed securities, market timing and late trading.
- Successfully represented an insurer in environmental coverage litigation arising out of an alleged spill of thousands of gallons of petroleum product into a Hamptons (NY) waterway.
- Successfully represented a client in a lawsuit filed in California arising out of an alleged data breach of personal health information.
- Successfully advised an insurance broker concerning allegations of failure to timely place cyber, privacy, and data breach insurance.
- Successfully represented an insured in a novel case involving allegations of breach of privacy rights resulting from the broadcast of a health care documentary.
- Successfully represented an insurer in a dispute with its insured concerning the allocation of subrogation proceeds between them.
- Successfully represented a program agent in litigation involving claims of tortious interference with its exclusive program.
- Successfully represented insurance industry participants in disputes involving non-competition/non-solicitation agreements.
- Counsels insurers concerning coverage issues and disputes concerning silent, unintentional, and non-affirmative cyber.
- Counseled insurers concerning coverage issues related to payment card industry assessments related to a data breach under a commercial general liability insurance policy.
- Counseled insurers concerning cyber coverage issues related to an insured’s unauthorized scraping of data and information.
- Counseled insurers on negotiation strategy and coverage issues related to the payment of ransomware extortion.
- Counseled insurers concerning coverage for business interruption losses arising from computer system outages and security failures.
- Counseled accountants, lawyers, architects and engineers, and health care providers on the emerging risk of data loss and theft.
- Counseled clients on the development of new insurance products and the accompanying regulatory requirements.
- Counseled insurers on drafting cyber exclusion language for non-cyber policies.
- Counseled insurers on recouping losses paid under cyber policies from third parties.
- Interviewed and quoted, "Ohio Coverage Ruling Won't End 'Silent Cyber' Fight," Law 360, January 2023
- Interviewed and quoted, "A Year After War Exclusion Ruling, Cyber Coverage Uncertain," Law360, January 2023
- Interviewed and quoted, "Ohio Ransomware Ruling Heightens 'Silent Cyber' Worries," Law 360, November 2021
- Interviewed and quoted, “Colonial Pipeline 'wake-up call' could have profound - and positive -- effects on cyber insurance,” Advisen Cyber Front Page News, May 2021
- "The Coming Cyber Pandemic, Part II," Law.com and Legaltech news, August 2020, republished in The National Law Review, August 2020
- "The Coming Cyber Pandemic, Part I," Law.com and Legaltech news, July 9, 2020, republished in The National Law Review, August 2020
- Co-author, "The California Consumer Privacy Act Has Data Security at its Core," Security, May 2020
- Interviewed and quoted, "Congress’ Proposed Digital Asset Legislation May Cripple Crypto," Finance Magnates, January 2020
- "5 Tips on How Companies Can Prepare for Cyberattacks and Data Breaches," Security Magazine, December 2019
- Interviewed and quoted, "Ruling Against Facebook Could Propel Additional Biometric Lawsuits," Business Insurance, August 2019
- Interviewed and quoted, "Comings and Goings: Marc S. Voses Joins Goldberg Segalla," Business Insurance, November 2018
- Interviewed and quoted, "How to Use Insurance to Shield Against Cryptocurrency Risks," Law360, July 2018
- Interviewed and quoted, “Cybersecurity & Privacy Predictions for 2018," Law360, January 2018
- "Shields Up: Prepare Your Cyber defenses," PIA Magazine, December 2017
- Interviewed and quoted, "Understanding Cyberattack Liabilities," No Jitters, 2017
- Interviewed and quoted, "For Hospitals Defending Against Cyberattacks, Patch Management Remains a Struggle," Fierce Healthcare, May 2017
- Interviewed and quoted, "Global Cyberattack Exposes Big Liabilities for Simple Fixes," Law360, May 2017
- "Businesses and Their Insurers Face Threat from Ransomware," National Underwriter, May 2016
- Co-author, "Even for Unlimited Plans, Uber Must Pay," Daily Journal, April 2016
- Co-author, "Network-connected Medical Devices: In the Cyber Crosshairs," Pharmaceutical Compliance Monitor, March 2016
- Co-author, "2016 PLUS D&O Symposium Day One Recap," Advisen Front Page News, February 2016
- Co-author, "Top of the Data Breach Class," Claims Management Cyber Liability eReport, December 2015
Marc Voses - Interview and quoted, "Rising Cybercrime Drives Some Reinsurers Away," Law360 Insurance Authority, October 2021
Co-presenter, "From GDPR to CCPA and Beyond: How Data Privacy Legislation Impacts Sales and Marketing," 2021 Medical Professional Liability Association Marketing Virtual Workshop, February 2021
- Co-presenter, "Managing Product Liability Risks for Connected Devices," May 2020
- Co-presenter, "Coronavirus Risk Forecast: Coverage and Claims Analysis for Toxic Tort, Employment, Workers’ Comp, Cyber, and Insurance Policy Concerns?," Perrin Conferences, Webinar March 2020
- Co-presenter, "Live Webinar: Where Cyber Exposure Meets the Boardroom," TransRe Webinar, November 2019
- Advisory Board Member, Advisen Cyber Risks Insights Conference, New York, New York, October 2019
- Moderator, "Physical Fitness: Protecting Connected Objects from Cyberattack," Advisen Cyber Risks Insights Conference, New York, New York, October 2019
- Chairperson, InTouch Live 2019 Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Symposium, Los Angeles, California, October 2019
- "Data Privacy and Collection Regulatory Update," InTouch Live 2019 Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Symposium, Los Angeles, California, October 2019
- "The Changing Landscape of Consumer Privacy Act Laws," California Workers’ Compensation & Risk Conference, Dana Paint, California, September 2019
- "Data Privacy Threats and Compliance in the Age of GDPR and the CCPA," 2019 PIMA Consumer Insights Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, June 2019