Shi Yi was called to the Singapore bar in 2014 after which she trained and worked at a local shipping firm for several years before joining Clasis LLC in 2017.
Shi Yi’s main area of practice is in shipping and international trade matters. She acts for and/or represents a variety of clients in the marine industry including shipowners, charterers,leading commodity trading firms, P&I Clubs and marine insurers.
Shi Yi has handled a wide range of trade and shipping disputes across different jurisdictions which includes disputes under charterparties, commodity sale contracts, bills of lading and shipbuilding contracts and has significant experience in SIAC, FOSFA, GAFTA and LMAA arbitrations.
- Acted for a freight forwarding provider and bunker supplier in the High Court of Singapore for claims against Hanjin Shipping Co Ltd and was involved in in the recognition proceedings commenced by Hanjin’s foreign representative in Singapore in light of the Hanjin’s then pending rehabilitation proceedings in the Republic of Korea.
- Acted for various claimants in respect of maritime claims involving breach of charterparties, crew wages, ship repair and dry-docking fees, agency fees and disbursements, supply of bunkers, claim to ownership; advising on arrests of vessels and obtaining warrants of arrest.
- Advised on the impact and/or effects of EZRA Holdings Limited’s Chapter 11 Proceedings and the judicial management of Swissco Holdings Limited and Swiber Holdings Limited in Singapore.
- Advised a bunker trading company on insolvency-related issues arising out of the liquidation proceedings of local bunker trading company Universal Energy Pte Ltd
- Acted for a trading company / seller of 40,000 MT of corn in bulk in a dispute arising out of buyer's failure to open a letter of credit and obtain import permits / licenses.
- Acted for a purchaser of offshore jack up drill rigs in LMAA and HKIAC arbitrations in a multi-million dollar dispute arising out of issues on delay and termination.
- Acted for charterers in back to back LMAA arbitrations for a charterparty dispute arising out a claim for unpaid hire and a counterclaim for breach of delivery and maintenance obligations under the charterparty.
- Successfully obtaining several FOSFA awards for a global trading company in disputes arising out its Pakistani buyers’ non-payment of the price of goods and demurrage, advising on enforcement issues thereafter.
- Acting for a global trading company in several FOSFA and LMAA arbitrations arising out of claims passed down the charterparty and sale contract chains following the advancement of soya bean cargo damage claims brought by receivers in China.
- Advising clients on the Singapore law aspects of the implications of the collapse of Singapore oil trading company Hin Leong Trading Pte Ltd including inter alia their exposure and recovery against Hin Leong
- Acting for a global commodity trading company in a claim brought by a major bank in a Hin Leong related dispute arising out of payment made under a letter of credit issued by the bank.