Andrew Harakas is a partner at Clyde & Co US LLP in New York and head of the US Aviation Law Practice Group. Andrew has more than 25 years of trial and litigation experience in aviation (passenger and cargo), complex tort, regulatory (DOT, FAA, OFAC), insurance and product liability matters.
Andrew has represented clients and tried cases arising out of major aviation losses and has extensive appellate experience. He has argued numerous appeals before federal and state appellate courts throughout the nation, including three cases before the United States Supreme Court – Olympic Airways v. Husain, 540 U.S. 644 (2004), Dooley v. Korean Air Lines, 524 U.S. 116 (1998), and Zicherman v. Korean Air Lines, 516 U.S. 217 (1996). Andrew often advises clients on complex litigation, jurisdictional and appellate issues and has filed amicus briefs on behalf of IATA in the first appellate court cases addressing the Montreal Convention, the Tokyo Convention and the ATSA.
Andrew has published numerous articles on a variety of issues relating to domestic and international aviation liability and insurance law, including the 38 chapter book, Litigating the Aviation Case (4th ed. ABA 2017). Andrew is also a frequent lecturer at conferences sponsored by IATA, the American Bar Association, Institute of Air and Space Law (McGill University) and other organizations throughout the world.
He has been consulted by and testified before US Senate Committees regarding proposed legislative changes to existing aviation and maritime laws. Andrew has appeared on CNN, Court TV and other news programs to address current aviation issues. Currently, Andrew is an adjunct professor at the Institute of Air and Space Law at McGill University and is on the Editorial Board of the Annals of Air & Space Law (McGill University) and the Kluwer Air Law Journal.
Andrew was recently awarded the 2018 Who’s Who Legal Aviation Contentious Lawyer of the Year Award. He has been selected for inclusion in Chambers USA's Band 1 – "one of the best" and recognized for his skill as an appellate lawyer and expertise on the Warsaw/Montreal Convention. Chambers describes Andrew as highly rated by his peers, who praise his "tremendous track record" in court. He is also recognized in the International Who's Who of Aviation Lawyers, International Who's Who of Product Liability Defence Lawyers, the Aviation Counsel Guide and Super Lawyers.
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Third, Fifth, Sixth, Ninth, Eleventh and District of Columbia Circuits
- US District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois
- L.L.M., McGill University, Institute of Air & Space Law, 1987
- J.D., cum laude, Michigan State University College of Law, 1986
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1982
- Kluwer Air Law Journal, Editorial Board
- McGill University, Annals of Air & Space Law, Editorial Board
- Flight Safety Foundation, Legal Advisory Committee
- Defense Research Institute, Aerospace Law Subcommittee, Chair (2008-2010) and Vice Chair (2006-2008)
- American Bar Association, Aviation Law Subcommittee, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Vice Chair (1995-1996)
- Institute of Air and Space Law Association