Arturo Arista specializes in all areas of insurance, reinsurance and transportation law by providing legal advice to both domestic and foreign insurers, reinsurers, mutual associations and P&I Clubs. He is also experienced in dealing with all aspects of transportation, charterparties, bills of lading and cargo claims.
Arturo is the head of the Insurance/Reinsurance team in Mexico and he has provided legal advice and been involved in multiple litigation cases representing the leading Mexican and foreign insurance and reinsurance carriers in most areas of insurance including property, catastrophic risks, public liability, products liability, D&O, E&O, PI, Aviation, EAR, CAR, Marine and subrogation recoveries.
He teaches the module of Marine and Transportation Insurance at the Diploma in Insurance at the Universidad Panamericana in Mexico City.
Arturo started working at a Maritime law firm in Mexico City while still attending law school. His practice was focused on the areas of marine insurance, transportation law and subrogation claims from 1994 to 1996. Arturo joined the firm Garza Tello & Asociados, S.C. as an associate in 1996 and became a partner in January 2002. He worked in a foreign lawyer program at the law firm of De Orchis & Partners in New York City in 1999.
He is fluent in both Spanish and English.
- Federal and state courts of all the Mexican Republic, including administrative courts and governmental entities
- Diploma in Insurance, The Charterers Insurance Institute, UK, 2004
- Certificate in Insurance Practice, London Metropolitan University, UK, 2003
- Law School Instituto Technológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), 1992-1997. His professional thesis was titled, "Legal Aspects of Time Charter Parties."
- Charterers Insurance Institute, UK
- Mexican Association of Insurance Lawyers
He has lectured in international seminars in the US, UK and Latin America concerning transportation claims in Mexico, marine insurance, public liability and products liability.
- “Jurisdiction Update: Mexican Reinsurance,” published in conjunction with Reynolds, Porter, Chamberlain, LLP. Bulletin of August 2007 and subsequent updates.
- Author of the Mexican section of, “Time Bar in Insurance and Reinsurance, an International Comparison.”