Barbara Almeida has 20 years of experience in complex insurance coverage advice, litigation and arbitration on behalf of domestic and international property and casualty insurance companies.
Her practice focuses on a wide range of high-severity coverage disputes, including matters related to products liability, pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter drugs and medical devices, agricultural and industrial contamination, consumer protection claims, long-tail torts such as asbestos and environmental coverage litigation, concussions arising from collegiate and professional sports, and other third-party liability coverage matters.
Barbara has been counsel in numerous hotly-contested domestic coverage cases throughout the country, including, most recently, in a large asbestos coverage litigation in Delaware, an adversary bankruptcy proceeding in Southern District of New York, as well as various concussion liability coverage litigations in New York and other jurisdictions. She has also arbitrated multiple high-value coverage disputes in London for international insurers.
Barbara is a founding partner of the New Jersey office, which opened in 2010. She is the office's Executive Partner and a member of the firm's US Management Board.
She is fluent in Portuguese.
- New Jersey
- New York
- US District Court for the District of New Jersey
- US District Courts for the Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- US Courts of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1999. Notes and Comments Editor of the Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal. Interned for the Honorable Alfred J. Lechner, Jr. of the US District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- B.A., magna cum laude, History and English, Rutgers College, 1995
- Summer study, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal, 1992 and 1993