Barbara Almeida focuses her practice on complex insurance and reinsurance litigation. She has more than 15 years of experience advising domestic, international and Bermuda insurers and reinsurers in a wide range of high-severity coverage disputes, including Bermuda Form excess liability claims; asbestos and environmental coverage litigation; pre-packaged bankruptcy matters; products liability; pharmaceutical matters; property damage; bodily and personal injury and other third-party liability coverage matters.
Barbara has been counsel in numerous hotly-contested coverage cases in courts across the country. Most recently, she prevailed in a bi-coastal forum battle in the NFL concussion litigation, which was simultaneously litigated through the appellate divisions of the state courts of both California and New York.
Barbara also conducts arbitrations and mediations and provides coverage advice outside of litigation. She has prevailed in arbitrations involving various insurance-related disputes and claims in arbitrations both domestically and abroad.
Barbara is a founding partner of the New Jersey office, which opened in 2010. She is the office's Executive Partner and a member of the firm's US Management Board.
She is fluent in Portuguese.
- New Jersey
- New York
- US District Court for the District of New Jersey
- US District Courts for the Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- US Courts of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1999. Notes and Comments Editor of the Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal. Interned for the Honorable Alfred J. Lechner, Jr. of the US District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- B.A., magna cum laude, History and English, Rutgers College, 1995
- Summer study, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal, 1992 and 1993