John Nicholl, B.C.L.1978, LL.B. 1979 (McGill), Ad. E., is a member of the Law Society of Ontario and the Barreau du Québec. He was one of the founding partners of a leading insurance boutique which merged with Clyde & Co in 2011. He is based primarily at the firm's Toronto office, but continues to maintain a substantial practice in Montreal as well.
John has been named Advocatus Emeritus (Ad. E.) by the Barreau du Québec, which may be compared to the common law Queen's Counsel. The award is presented to members of the Quebec Bar who gain distinction as a result of their outstanding professional career, outstanding contribution to the profession or outstanding social and community standing that has brought honour to the legal profession.
John is one of the best known insurance lawyers in Canada, and for the last 40 years his practice has focused on liability defence and coverage advice and litigation on behalf of insurer clients in all Canadian jurisdictions, in both English and French. As a litigator he has extensive trial and appellate experience, particularly in the fields of insurance coverage, professional liability, directors' and officers' liability, product and aviation liability, and class action defence.
John was formerly a lecturer on insurance law at the McGill University Faculty of Law, and was a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. He is a frequent speaker and conference chair in his fields of practice, and an active member of Canadian Defence Lawyers.
John has maintained consistently high professional ratings for many years. He was named Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year 2011” (Insurance Law – Montreal) and is currently listed and recommended in the following guides:
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory for the practice of Professional Liability, Commercial Insurance Litigation, Directors' and Officers’ Liability Litigation, and Product Liability Litigation, since 2015 and including the 2020 edition
- 2017-2019 – Chambers and Partners as a leader (Band 1) in the field of Insurance: Dispute Resolution (Nationwide Canada)
- Who's Who Legal 2016 – Compendium Edition, in the field of Insurance and Reinsurance
- Who's Who Legal 2016, in the field of Product Liability Defence
- Who's Who Legal International since 2015, in the fields of Insurance & Reinsurance
- Who's Who Legal since 2014, in the fields of Insurance & Reinsurance
- AV® Preeminent™ peer review rating is 5/5 in the Martindale-Hubbell for Insurance; Professional Liability and Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell Top Lawyers in Canada 2013
- The Best Lawyers in Canada since 2006, in the fields of Class Action Litigation, Directors' and Officers' Liability, Insurance Law, Legal Malpractice Law and Product Liability Law
- The Best Lawyers – ''Lawyer of the year'' in 2010 and 2017 in the field of Directors' and Officers' Liability Practice
- The Best Lawyers – ''Lawyer of the year'' in 2014 for Legal Malpractice Law