John (Jack) Gerstein has a very diverse litigation practice with deep experience successfully litigating matters arising in a wide array of subject areas, including professional liability, complex insurance coverage, toxic torts, antitrust, telecommunications, product liability, intellectual property, securities, commercial fraud and breach of contract, among others. His clients in these areas have ranged from major US corporations to individuals in litigation throughout the country. He has also successfully represented accounting and law firms in major litigation nationwide. Many of Jack's cases involve high dollar figures in controversy and are on the forefront of emerging legal issues. Jack is known for his creative and effective litigation style and has enjoyed an extraordinary record of success in litigated matters.
Jack has represented both plaintiffs and defendants. He has had extreme success, both at the trial level and on appeal. Jack has been consistently recognized by Chambers USA, The Legal 500 and other leading legal rankings and publications. Chambers described Jack as “a fabulous trial lawyer in every sense of the word,” and declared that he has earned a reputation among his peers as being “extremely smart and talented in the court” and having “a great eye for tactics."
- District of Columbia
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for the District of Maryland
- US Courts of Appeals for the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Michigan, 1975. Order of the Coif. Elected to University of Michigan Law Review. American Jurisprudence Book Award in Administrative Law. Case Club Book Award.
- B.A., with high distinction and honors, University of Michigan, 1972. James B. Angell Scholar. Phi Beta Kappa.
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society