Nassif practises corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration with an emphasis on shareholder, agency, management, distribution, banking, finance and real estate disputes, and financial crimes.
Nassif represents a wide range of businesses, including financial institutions and leading multinational companies in the leisure and hospitality, energy, transport and defence logistics sectors.
The Legal 500 ranked Nassif amongst eight leading individuals for dispute resolution in the United Arab Emirates and reported that he is
"detail-oriented and extremely proactive".
Who's Who Legal Future Leaders - Arbitration 2017 recognises Nassif as a Future Leader in Arbitration globally amongst practitioners aged 45 and under.
Who’s Who Legal says: Nassif BouMalhab draws effusive praise from peers, who commend his ability
"to provide pragmatic advice aligned with commercial goals".
Nassif was listed amongst Asian-MENA Counsel's External Counsel of the Year 2013 for the United Arab Emirates as voted by the In-House Community, where in-house counsel is reported to have said
"[Nassif] is the best arbitration lawyer".
In 2017, Nassif was selected as one of 12 members of the task force to advise the Sharjah International Commercial Arbitration Centre (Tahkeem) on the reform of its arbitration rules. Nassif was subsequently appointed to the Executive Committee of the Sharjah International Commercial Arbitration Centre (Tahkeem).
Nassif has appeared as party counsel in over 35 international arbitration proceedings administered under a wide range of rules, including the AAA, DIAC, DIFC-LCIA, ICC, LCIA and UNCITRAL. He has been appointed as sole arbitrator or chairman of the tribunal in a number of DIAC and DIFC-LCIA proceedings.
Nassif is a Canadian national. He is fluent in English and French, and is Arabic speaking.
Other awards and distinctions earned by Nassif include:
- Future Leader, Arbitration (Who's Who Legal Future Leaders - Arbitration 2017)
- Leading Individual, Dispute Resolution, UAE (The Legal 500)
- External Counsel of the Year 2013, UAE (Asian-MENA Counsel)
- Mark MacGuigan Award and McCarthy Tetrault Award for placing first at the Laskin Moot, a national mooting competition in Canadian constitutional and administrative law
- POLAJ Prize awarded by the Department of Justice Canada for excellence in written and oral expression in both official languages (French and English)
- Fraser Milner Casgrain Award for excellence in oral pleading
- Gowling Lafleur Henderson Award for a paper on the jurisdiction of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) Appellate Body in international trade regulation
- Stikeman Elliott / Carswell National Tax Award
- Gaston Descoteaux Award for labour and employment law
- Member of the academic community invited by the Supreme Court of Canada to participate in the Symposium Commemorating the Court's 125th Anniversary
Registrations and memberships include:
- Member of the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA) - 2019
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Sharjah International Commercial Arbitration Centre (Tahkeem) - 2017
- Registered Practitioner in the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Courts - 2012
- Registered Foreign Lawyer with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (the regulatory body for solicitors in England and Wales) – 2012
- Registered Legal Consultant with the Dubai Legal Affairs Department - 2011
- Member of the Barreau du Québec (Québec Bar) - 2003
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association - 2003
- LL.B. (Common Law), with honour, University of Ottawa - 2002
- LL.L. (Civil Law), with highest honour, University of Ottawa – 2001