Nigel has been a partner at Clyde & Co since 1985 and handles international (re)insurance matters for a range of companies and syndicates, both in the London market and worldwide.
His practice includes:
- Handling international insurance and reinsurance disputes
- Drafting and advising on insurance and reinsurance wordings, including parametric and transactional contracts
- Advising on global programmes covering multinationals (including regulatory aspects, financial interest cover, and arrangements with captives)
- Advising on cyber and privacy issues
- Advising on economic sanctions and their impact on (re)insurers and brokers
Nigel is highly rated in various legal guides including Chambers (Band 1, "He stands out for his work in the reinsurance market") and Legal 500 ("Nigel Brook heads the firm’s highly regarded reinsurance team"). Euromoney's "Best of the Best" Expert Guide ranks him among the top 30 insurance lawyers worldwide.
Nigel has extensive knowledge of emerging technologies and has been active in the field of smart contracts, distributed ledger technology including blockchain, the Internet of Things and related technology since 2015. He often speaks and chairs insurance and other industry panels on tech-related topics, and regularly discusses developments with innovators at insurance companies. He is now seen by the firm's insurance and other clients, as well as legal and technical departments in academia, as a leader in this area. He is focused on the impact that technology has on both the risk landscape and the insurance industry itself; the opportunities for innovative insurers to prosper; and the legal and regulatory issues that arise along the way. Nigel is a co-founder of Clyde Code, our smart contracts consultancy.