Nigel's practice area's include:
- Handling international insurance and reinsurance disputes
- Drafting and advising on insurance and reinsurance wordings, including parametric and transactional contracts
- Advising on global insurance programmes covering multinationals (including regulatory aspects, financial interest cover, and arrangements with captives)
- Advising on cyber insurance issues
- Advising on economic and trade sanctions and their impact on (re)insurers and brokers
Nigel is highly rated in various legal guides including Chambers (Band 1, "He stands out for his work in the reinsurance market") and Legal 500 ("Nigel Brook heads the firm’s highly regarded reinsurance team"). Euromoney's "Best of the Best" Expert Guide ranks him among the top 30 insurance lawyers worldwide.
He leads the firm's global campaign on Resilience and Climate Change Risk, building a body of know-how and raising awareness of climate-related legal duties and potential liabilities. He is a member of the Law, Regulation and Resilience Policies Working Group of the Insurance Development Forum – a public/private partnership seeking to optimise and extend the use of insurance and the industry's risk management capabilities to protect those most vulnerable to disasters. He co-authored the firm's 2018 Reports on Parametric Insurance and Inclusive Insurance – exploring the role of innovative risk transfer in closing the global protection gap – and has authored and edited Clyde & Co's 2018/19 series of reports on the rising tide of Climate Change liability and duties of care.
Nigel has extensive knowledge of emerging technologies and has been active in the field of smart contracts, distributed ledger technology including blockchain, the Internet of Things and related technology since 2015. He often speaks and chairs insurance and other industry panels on tech-related topics, and regularly discusses developments with innovators at insurance companies. He is now seen by the firm's insurance and other clients, as well as legal and technical departments in academia, as a leader in this area. He is focused on the impact that technology has on both the risk landscape and the insurance industry itself; the opportunities for innovative insurers to prosper; and the legal and regulatory issues that arise along the way. Nigel is a co-founder of Clyde Code, our smart contracts consultancy.
What they say
- Climate Change Risk Practice
- Commercial Litigation & ADR
- Data Protection & Privacy
- Data Protection & Privacy: Data Breach, Response & Recovery
- Data Protection & Privacy: Insurance
- Regulatory & Investigations
- Regulatory & Investigations: Financial Services & Insurance
- Regulatory & Investigations: Sanctions