Stephen Tricks is an English lawyer. He was a partner at Clyde & Co LLP for over 25 years and is now a consultant with the firm. His practice is focused on international trade and commodities, and in particular on trade finance. Stephen advises trading companies and banks on security over goods, letters of credit, demand guarantees, letters of indemnity, sale contracts and carriage contracts.
Stephen lectures regularly on trade finance issues at conferences organised by the International Chamber of Commerce and other bodies. He acts as a technical consultant to the European Bank for Reconstruction & Development on its Trade Facilitation Programme.
Stephen has significant experience of trade and investment with Mongolia and is a director of the Mongolian British Chamber of Commerce.
Stephen is a member of both the Legal Committee and the Guarantees Task Force of the ICC Banking Commission. He is also a member of the ICC UK Committee on Banking Technique and Practice.
Stephen is author of A Practitioner's Guide to Demand Guarantees published by the London Institute of Banking & Finance (2017).
- 1987 – 1990 Assisted the UK Law Commission in the preparation of a report to Parliament on the proposed amendment of the Bills of Lading Act 1855, subsequently enacted as the Carriage of Goods by Sea Act 1992.
- 2003 Contributing author to “A Handbook of World Trade” (2nd Edition) published by ICC UK and Kogan Page. (Sections on Sanctions/Trade Embargoes and Letters of Credit.)
- 2011 Article: "Mongolia, Open for Business", published by Trade & Forfaiting Review.
- 2012 Article: "The Legal Framework, Mongolia", published by Oxford Business Group.
- 2013 Article: "Contract Terms and Letters of Credit in Commodity Trades", published by Trade & Forfaiting Review
- 2013 Article: "The Impact of Sanctions on Trade Finance – a Legal Perspective" for the European Trade Finance Yearbook, published by BCR Publishing.
- 2015 Article: "Beyond Decheng Mining" (Warehouse financing in Qingdao), published by Trade & Forfaiting Review.
- 2017 Article: "Standbys under English Law" published by Documentary Credit World
- 2017 Author: "A Practitioner's Guide to Demand Guarantees", (textbook for bankers and other students studying for Certificate as Specialist in Demand Guarantees) published by London Institute of Banking & Finance.