Elizabeth Bertschi’s practice focuses on commercial litigation and professional liability defense. She represents national insurance companies and their insureds in commercial litigation, malpractice, and appellate matters in both federal and state court. Elizabeth's experience includes insurance coverage and bad faith matters, as well as complex commercial litigation. She has experience serving as Georgia counsel for one of the nation’s largest nursing home and long-term healthcare chains, participating in multi-district litigation in the defense of consumer products litigation, and addressing complex national regulatory and compliance issues for Internet start-up companies. She has tried cases in federal and state court, handled multiple arbitrations, and argued before the Eleventh Circuit and in Georgia’s appellate courts. She is a trusted advisor on contemporary legal issues such as Coronavirus/COVID-19 coverage implications.
Elizabeth began her legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable R. Lanier Anderson, III, former Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
A regular participant in seminars and publishing endeavors, Elizabeth has prepared articles appearing in the Tort and Insurance Law Journal, International Legal Strategy, Product Liability Law & Strategy, and the Food and Drug Law Institute.
- US District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Georgia
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US Supreme Court
- J.D., with distinction, Order of the Coif, Emory University School of Law, 1993. Articles Editor, Emory Law Journal. Dean's Scholarship Recipient.
- B.A., Emory University, 1988. National Merit Scholar
- Represented international manufacturer in ICC Arbitration proceedings in business-to-business dispute.
- Summary judgment granted for insurers in first party bad faith action, Fight for Fitness, Inc. v. Sentinel Insurance Company (N.D. Ga. 2019).
- Summary judgment granted for insurers under lawyers professional liability policies, Endurance American Specialty Ins. Co. v. Morris Hardwick Schneider, LLC (N.D. Ga. 2018).
- Summary judgment granted for insurers in declaratory judgment action, AMCO Insurance Co. et al. v. Finishing Dynamics, LLC (N.D. Ga. 2018) .
- Summary Judgment upheld in malpractice action against physician service company, Williamson v. Coastal Physician Services of the Southeast, Inc., 251 Ga. App. 667 (2001).
- Won grant of Interlocutory Injunction in case raising First Amendment issues which was upheld on appeal, Focus Entertainment Intern., Inc. v. Partridge Greene, Inc., 253 Ga. App. 121 (2001).
- Summary Judgment in wrongful death case upheld on appeal, Anthony v. Chambless, 231 Ga. App. 657 (1998).
- Trial victory for upscale shopping center in action by former tenant after week-long trial.
- Defense verdict for chief of staff of major hospital in medical malpractice action after week-long trial.