Based in Dubai since 2004, Mark advises Main Contractors, Employers, Subcontractors and Suppliers in the construction, engineering and oil & gas sectors. He has advised clients in relation to many of the leading and high profile projects in the UAE along with projects in Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Iraq and Oman. Prior to relocating to Dubai, Mark was based in London, where he advised in relation to landmark projects including the Channel Tunnel and Jubilee Line Extension Project.
Mark has a MSc in Construction Law and Arbitration. He has extensive experience of advising on contractual and commercial matters in relation to construction and infrastructure projects, in the role of project counsel as works progress and in relation to dispute avoidance and dispute resolution. Mark has represented clients in high value and complex construction arbitration proceedings pursuant to the ICC, DIAC, ADCCAC and UNCITRAL Rules, as well as in relation to smaller disputes pursuant to ad hoc arbitration and disputes before the local courts.
- Advising the construction joint venture in relation to contractual issues, claims and in mediation and arbitration proceedings arising in connection with the Burj Khalifa, Dubai – the world’s tallest building.
- Representing a government transport authority in connection with contractual matters and arbitration proceedings arising out of the construction of a Metro system in the United Arab Emirates.
- Representing a leading international contractor in the prosecution of DIAC arbitration claims against the Syrian Arab Republic relating to the refurbishment of Damascus Airport, including the management of parallel Syrian court proceedings.
- Advising a leading Chinese contractor in relation to claims arising in connection with construction works, and successful representation in ICC and ADCCAC arbitration proceedings, arising out of works at Doha Airport and Abu Dhabi Airport.
- Representing a Japanese main contractor in relation to an ICC arbitration arising out of a subcontract for a hotel project in Djibouti, an UNCITRAL arbitration and subcontract dispute relating to a water transmission scheme in Abu Dhabi and in relation to Price Escalation challenges arising out of the collapse of the Sri Lanka economy.
- Providing Project Counsel and dispute avoidance advice to a Contractor / Operator in connection with both a Waste Management and Sewage Treatment Plant in Qatar.
- Providing project counsel and commercial advice to an EPC Contractor in connection with a significant crude oil export facility and related pipeline and other facilities in Iraq.
- Advising a specialist technology and infrastructure contractor in relation to claims, price escalation and risk issues arising in connection with the construction of battery energy storage and data centre facilities in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.