Giovanna is dual qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales and as "Avvocato" in Italy and her expertise within the shipping areas covers a wide range of legal issues related to commercial contracts for new build constructions, sale and purchase, refit, operational, owning and finance arrangements for commercial vessels.
She is also a prominent member of the superyacht team, having long experience of working with yacht builders, owners, designers, brokers, project managers and operators of the industry. Her advice in the superyacht space covers the full range of legal issues related to new build contracts, pre-owned sale and purchase, repair and refit, finance, security structures, operational and owning structures, design and project management agreements.
Giovanna was ranked Band 4 for High Net Worth: Yachts and Superyachts by Chambers & Partners 2020. The directory states that Giovanna is "great: extremely diligent and extremely prompt. She is very practical and she sees the big picture."
- Advising banks and borrowers on vessels construction finance, re-finance and asset finance including negotiating loan agreements, security documentation and dealing with cross jurisdictional issues.
- Currently advising European based yacht shipyards as general counsel and providing day-to-day legal advice and specific advice on yacht building contracts and relevant contractual documentation. Prepared tailor made forms of shipbuilding contracts for each such shipyards based on the specific and methods of constructions adopted by each shipyard and commercial targets to be achieved to include security documentation, bank guarantees, letters of credit and performance bonds.
- Advised on the successful restructuring of the owning and operational arrangements a fleet of various vessels and exiting a lease scheme and owing structure which was declared illegal by the European Tax Authorities.
- Advised on a large number of pre-owned yachts sale and purchases agreements to include relevant related advice and guidance regarding flagging, owning and operational issues.
- Advised on a successful landmark decision issued on 15 July 2010 by the Supreme Court of Cassation - Criminal Section in Rome regarding a yacht under arrest due to alleged infringement of the the rules of Maritime EU cabotage and regime to chartering yachts and as a consequence.
- Advised on the sale/purchase of second hand tonnage vessel and related finance arrangements to include relevant related advice and guidance regarding flagging, owning and operational issues.
- Advised on mortgage, repossession, sale and acquisition of distressed vessels acting for either appointed receivers or buyers.
- Advised on the security enforcement of a shipbuilding contract being defaulted by the shipbuilder under administration/insolvency proceedings which successfully resulted in repossession and delivery of the vessel under construction in favour of the buyer and against the insolvency proceedings.
- Recent speaking engagements include: 2014 Italian Superyacht Forum on refit and repair contracts and best contract practice.