Michael has significant experience in assisting and representing French and foreign companies in complex multi-jurisdictional legal matters before all French first instance and appellate courts (civil, commercial, criminal, administrative, regulatory). He also assists French companies in connection with disputes initiated before foreign courts.
His litigation practice encompasses a wide range of sectors (construction and engineering, energy, aviation, mining and infrastructure, consumer products) and regularly leads him to work on claims arising from major accidents, high value personal injury claims, catastrophic losses, E&O claims, construction related claims (decennial/non-decennial) as well as industrial risks losses, and general commercial litigation.
Michael worked as in-house counsel in a major international group before being admitted to the Paris Bar. He has practiced as a foreign qualified lawyer in the London office of Clyde & Co in 2015 and is fluent in French and English.
He is a regular lecturer at the Paris Bar school (EFB) where he teaches commercial litigation.
- Advising a Korean contractor in the assessment and preparation of multiple claims against Algeria’s state-owned energy corporation in relation to the construction of two combined cycle power plants in Algeria (USD 1.37 billion).
- Advising another Korean contractor in the assessment of various claims against an Oman/Algerian JV in relation to the construction of a fertilizer production plant in Algeria (USD 2 billion).
- Assistance and representation of a middle-eastern airline company in the course of all judicial proceedings (civil and criminal) initiated in France following a major air accident (152 deceased).
- Assistance and representation of a French major construction group in relation to various construction-related disputes.
- Advising the Government of Guinea on Simandou South iron ore landmark project: negotiation and finalization of the investment framework, comprising the mining concession, the BOT agreement, as well infrastructure (both rail and port) – and other corporate agreements (USD 20 billion).
- Assistance and representation of a French food conglomerate in a criminal proceeding initiated after a massive food poisoning.
- Assistance and representation of an Italian manufacturer of medical devices following cases of severe burns to hospital patients.
- Assistance and representation of a US manufacturer in a patent ownership and royalties dispute initiated by one of its former employees.
- Assistance and representation of a producer of photovoltaic electricity in a dispute initiated against the national operator and relating to difficulties in obtaining preferential buying tariffs.
- Assistance and representation of employers in various types of disputes (wage claims, discrimination, moral harassment, unfair dismissals).