Steven qualified in 2000 and has specialised in dispute resolution in the construction and engineering industries since that time. Prior to joining Clyde & Co Steven spent over 10 years at Eversheds LLP, including a period of over 4 years stationed in Asia where he was tasked with building a construction and engineering practice. Steven returned to the UK in 2014 but since that time has continued to undertake a mixture of domestic and international work, including in jurisdictions such as Singapore, Indonesia, India, Iran, Oman and the UAE.
He has wide experience of the full range of dispute resolution procedures. This includes domestic and international arbitration under a variety of rules including ICC, SIAC and DIAC and encompassing a variety of jurisdictions, including India, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand in South/South East Asia and Iran, Oman, Abu Dhabi and Dubai in the Middle East. He also has great experience of adjudication/enforcement.
Steven has advised employers, joint venturers, contractors, sub-contractors and consultant on a range of disputes arising out of projects in the mining, energy (including nuclear, coal and renewables), infrastructure, process (chemicals, petrochemicals and water) and development sectors.
- Took over, conducted and won on award a USD 10 million arbitration (DIAC, Dubai), having been instructed just 21 days before a 6 day hearing for a main contractor in respect of a final account claim by a sub-contractor
- Successfully pursued to award a EUR 35 million arbitration (SIAC, Singapore) arising from a repudiated technology licensing agreement between an US/Austrian wind technology company and an Indian energy company
- Successfully pursued to settlement a USD 75 million arbitration (ICC, Singapore) relating to a failed mining infrastructure project in Kalimantan, Indonesia between a US EPC contractor and a Far East mining company
- Defended a major European manufacturer in the automotive industry in respect of a dispute with a Malaysian supplier in an arbitration seated in KL, Malaysia
- Successfully negotiated the cancellation of a project between a major European manufacturer in the automotive industry and an EPC contractor regarding a new production facility in Tamil Nadu, India
- Represented a European manufacturer regarding a joint venture for the construction of a USD 450 million petrochemical plant in West Java, Indonesia
- Representing a European wastewater contractor regarding issues of delay / loss and expense in respect of works relating to an oil and gas project in Oman
- Representing a major red-brick University in the North of England in respect of a series of adjudications with a value in excess of GBP 10 million in respect of a major re-development of an art facility, ultimately settling at mediation
- Representing an owner/operator of assisted living facilities in respect of a final account dispute valued at GBP 12 million with a main contractor over a distressed/delayed development in the South of England
- Conducting a series of adjudications subject to the statutory payment/adjudication regime in Singapore in respect of claims against a main contractor by sub-contractors relating to a major sporting facility in Singapore
- Conducting a series of adjudications against a main contractor on behalf of an institutional investor in respect of final account/defects relating to a major office development in Salford, Greater Manchester
- Acting for a major redbrick university in the North of England in respect of a number of interim/final account disputes valued between GBP 5 and 10 million, including the use of adjudication, Part 8 proceedings and mediation