Philip advises on the defence of claims against legal and financial professionals, as well as construction and miscellaneous professions. He has acted for accountants, taxation and pensions advisors; barristers, solicitors and licensed conveyances; engineers, IT professionals and various commercial consultants and insurance brokers. He also frequently advises insurers on coverage issues, including scope of cover, notification and fraudulent transactions.
- Advising on the successful defence of a wasted costs application against Counsel, initiated by the Court of its own motion, despite the absence of an application by any of the other parties to the case.
- Advising surveyors on a robust defence of a large multi-million pound claim for alleged misrepresentation in relation to the purchase of high value commercial property prior to the 2008 property crash.
- Advising insurers in relation to a large number of claims and potential claims against a firm of Licensed Conveyancers relating to the alleged failure to complete numerous residential conveyancing transactions and to remit Stamp Duty Land Tax payments to HMRC.
- Acting in relation to a claim arising from a catastrophic server failure causing disruption to clients' online sales websites. Claims from alleged business interruption in the form of lost turnover/sales downturn during server downtime.
- Advising solicitors in relation to a claim arising from a corporate share sale and subsequent litigation in India due to alleged negligent advice as to the terms of the share purchase agreement, in particular as to the mechanism for payment of the consideration and jurisdiction provisions.
- Representing a firm of FAs in relation to a number of Financial Ombudsman claims arising from alleged inadequate advice regarding investments into SIPPs, in particular overseas property developments.
- Advising insurers on policy coverage in relation to claims arising under D&O, PI and Corporate Legal Liability policies. Issues involving scope of cover, including the operation of exclusions, waivers and attribution of knowledge for the purposes of misrepresentation/non-disclosure as well as dishonesty.
- Representing solicitors in various lender's litigation and advising on preliminary issues limitation defences.