Philip advises on the defence of claims against a variety of traditional professionals, as well as those in the emerging and miscellaneous markets. He has acted for accountants, tax and pension advisors and brokers. Barristers, solicitors and licensed conveyances. Architects and engineers. IT professionals, various commercial consultants, directors and officers and educational institutions and examination bodies.
He also frequently advises insurers on coverage issues.
He is recognised in Chambers and Legal 500 for his professional indemnity insurance work
"Philip Evans has not only a grasp of the legal issues but puts the insured client at the heart of the process. Philip is extremely user-friendly, makes himself readily contactable and gives calm and pragmatic advice – a lawyer’s lawyer." “[Philip] Evans is valued for his unflappability and evident intellect”. “Philip Evans is also very good at directing settlement negotiations in the interests of clients”.
- Advising on the successful defence of a wasted costs application against Counsel, initiated by the Court of its own motion, despite the absence of an application by any of the other parties to the case.
- Advising surveyors on a robust defence of a large multi-million pound claim for alleged misrepresentation in relation to the purchase of high value commercial property.
- Advising insurers in relation to a large number of claims and potential claims against a firm of Licensed Conveyancers relating to the alleged failure to complete numerous residential conveyancing transactions and to remit Stamp Duty Land Tax payments to HMRC.
- Acting for IT professionals in relation to a claim arising from a catastrophic server failure causing disruption to clients' online sales websites. Claims from alleged business interruption in the form of lost turnover/sales downturn during server downtime.
- Representing an architect before the Architects Registration Board in relation to complaints and disciplinary proceedings arising from alleged poor design and planning advice leading to financial losses.
- Advising solicitors in relation to a claim arising from a corporate share sale and subsequent litigation in India due to alleged negligent advice as to the terms of the share purchase agreement, in particular as to the mechanism for payment of the consideration and jurisdiction provisions.
- Representing a firm of IFAs in relation to a number of Financial Ombudsman claims arising from alleged inadequate advice regarding investments into SIPPs, in particular overseas property developments.
- Advising insurers on policy coverage in relation to claims arising under D&O, PI and Corporate Legal Liability policies. Issues involving scope of cover, including the operation of exclusions, dishonesty, waivers and attribution.
- Acting for educational institutions and examination bodies in relation to disciplinary matters, judicial reviews and public sector duty claims.
- Advising various hospitality and entertainment companies in relation to claims arising from COVID pandemic and cancelled events and variation to contracts.