Zahrah is an Associate in the commercial team in our Cape Town office since July 2022.
Zahrah has experience on general corporate and commercial matters, including mergers and acquisitions, due diligences, contract drafting and reviews and the structuring of business entities and has assisted numerous listed and non-listed companies with commercial transactions in South Africa. In addition, Zahrah has assisted numerous foreign entities with the registration and regulation of its South African business.
- General corporate and commercial experience including drafting agreements for commercial transactions including sale of share agreements, sale of business agreements, lease agreements, service level agreements, management and marketing agreements.
- Advising on and drafting constitutional documents including memoranda of incorporation and shareholders agreements and assisting with general company secretarial work pertaining to the registration of companies and on-going corporate governance.
- Advised companies, in both private and public sectors, on corporate governance matters including advising in relation to directors' duties, performing compliance checks with reference to their MOIs, shareholders agreements and other agreements, the Companies Act/Regulations and King Report.
- Advising hospitality companies in relation to franchise, management, marketing, lease and other commercial contracts, and the application of the Protection of Personal Information Act.
- Advising on various aspects of local government legislation including the Public Finance Management Act.
- Assisting in advising major airline operators on various aspects of aircraft legislation.
- Assisting with the establishment and registration of trusts with the Master of the High Court.
- Assisting with tax-exemption applications to the South African Revenue Service and registration of non-profit organisations with the Directorate of Social Development.
- Extensively involved in due diligence work as team member of the legal work stream on several major transactions.
- Assisted as South African legal counsel on the acquisition, development and management of prime assets on the African continent and the Indian Ocean Islands, in relation to the disposal of an interest in two South African companies.
- Assisted numerous companies listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in relation to the disposal and/or acquisition of their interests in both local and international companies.
- Assisted South African entities in relation to its establishment of a ring-fenced enterprise supplier development fund. The work entailed the establishment of the entity, as well as preparation of various ordinary and preference share subscription agreements, a shareholder’s agreement, and memorandum of incorporation, with a specific focus on ensuring BEE compliance.