Felipe Hoetz is a Partner who leads the Insurance team in our Santiago office with 25 years of experience in insurance, reinsurance and loss adjusting, with a focus on high-value losses. Since 2022, he is Lloyd's Attorney-in-Fact in Chile.
He has been involved in most of the largest claims in Chile, including mining, energy, property/business interruption and political risk. He also advises on regulatory matters.
Since 2017, Felipe sits at the board of the ARIAS LatAm Insurance/Reinsurance Arbitration and Mediation Centre and in 2022 he was elected vice-president of the Reinsurance working group of the Ibero-Latin American Committee of the International Insurance Law Association (CILA-AIDA). Previously (2014-16), he was president of the Chilean Association of Loss Adjusters (ALOSI) and the International Federation of Adjusting Associations (IFAA).
He holds a diploma in Negotiation/Mediation from Chile´s Catholic University (2022) and in International Relations from the War Academy of the Chilean Army and University of Los Andes (2021). He lectured at the Insurance Law Diploma of both universities and is member of the Chilean Society of International Law.
He is recognized by Chambers & Partners (Band 2), The Legal 500, Best Lawyers, Latin Lawyer, Leaders League, Top Ranked, Expert Guide and WWL.
- Regulatory. Appointed before Chile´s regulator (Financial Markets Commission) as Lloyd´s Attorney-in-Fact in Chile.
- Political Risks. Provided coverage opinions regarding claims filed by the biggest supermarkets and retailers after the 2019 protests, Chile's worst unrest in decades.
- Covid-19. Providing legal advice to local insurers regarding potential consequences of the UK Supreme Court´s judgment in the Financial Conduct Authority's (FCA)'s business interruption insurance test case.
- Professional Liability and Cyber Insurance. Providing legal advice to the captive insurer of a Big Four accounting firm, after the Supreme Court´s landmark ruling in the “La Polar” case.
- Professional liability. Providing legal advice to the captive insurer of a pharmaceutical, which sustained damage to vaccines kept in a cold storage unit that failed, owned by a contractor.
- Aviation. Providing insurers legal advice in respect of a loss occurred when the jetwash of a US business jet hit a Chilean business jet parked inside a hangar.
- International Arbitration. Providing insurers legal advice regarding the local implications of a Three-Arbitrator Panel dispute in London, regarding a US$200 million claim and liaising with their attorneys.
- Reinsurance. Advising insurers regarding the terms of their reinsurance agreements backing the so-called “Disability and Survivors Insurance” provided to pension fund administrators (“AFP”), triggered by a US$165 million claim.
- Brokerage. Successfully representing a broker within an investigation conducted by Chile´s regulator (Financial Markets Commission) that concluded with monetary sanctions against an insurance company, which were afterwards judicially confirmed.
- Cyber Risks. Lectured on Cyber Attacks and War exclusions at the Reinsurance working party of the Ibero-Latin American Committee of the International Insurance Law Association (CILA-AIDA) in Costa Rica.